dead bat in pool.

Jun 2, 2011
East Texas
If you found a dead bat in your pool would you just shock it really well?
Its not me but a person I know. She has not had it tested for rabies as she found it today.
I have no clue of any of her readings. Was not sure where to post this. Suggestions?

I found a deat bat in mine about a week ago. It must have drowned that night so it wasnt in there too long. It didnt affect any of my chlorine levels that I could tell. Not sure about any rabies being in my pool though. Would the chlorine kill the rabies?

As long as the critter is intact and no internal organs or fluids have leaked into the pool it should be fine. Most folks bump up the chlorine a few ppm. If your friend wants extra peace of mind she can SLAM the pool for 24 hours.

We pulled many bats out of our IGP: dead and alive & never drained the water. They were attracted to our skimmer for some reason.

We boosted after a carcass removal or live visitor swim, but we never drained the water. I swam in that pool for 30 some years and never once became ill or was rabid.

Just mentioning this for peace of mind so she can see there are bat survivors out there.

Good Luck

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.