Laser 250 Sand Filter - Pin Size Leak

Hey. Got home to find water spraying out of my Laser 250 filter... There appears to be a few pin size holes near the label on the body of filter... I don't know how old the equipment is (got it with the house) but worked fine for last few months I was using... It was hot here in Toronto today (95 degrees) and I had filter on continuously since last night as I had added CYA in a sock (in skimmer)...

I've turned my equipment off as its quite the spray. What's the solution? Can it be patched or do I need to replace??

The lasers are blow molded plastic vessels, not fiberglass. I never recommend repairing a pressure vessel that is leaking, however you can do whatever you're comfortable with.

I would replace it with a larger filter. That filter is a little small for a 26,000 gallon pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
hallidina said:
Was talking to the guys at Hayward and they say all I need is a sand 24" filter or 3.2 sqft ... up to a 130,000 litres (34k gallons)
What am I missing? I'm in Canada so pool only open a few months of the year...
From what I've learned, the manufacturers are always a little aggressive with their sizing. I'm not sure why since bigger filters cost more, but whatever. A small filter means longer run times and higher pressures. The slower you move the water through a sand filter, the better the cleaning and the less trouble with the media rupturing. Bigger is better.

hallidina said:
Was talking to the guys at Hayward and they say all I need is a sand 24" filter or 3.2 sqft ... up to a 130,000 litres (34k gallons)
I don't think you're missing anything.

I've got the Hayward 24" filter (S244T) and a 1HP Hayward Superpump. Replaced the old Hayward 24" fibreglass filter when it failed a few years ago with the same size, now a plastic vessel, and I'm still happy with it. My pool is about 36K gallons.

A larger filter and a bigger pump may have benefits, as others have suggested, but I think the recommendation from the guys at Hayward is reasonable.

Just my 2 cents based on my experience.

CUTiger78 said:
hallidina said:
I don't think you're missing anything.

I've got the Hayward 24" filter (S244T) and a 1HP Hayward Superpump. Replaced the old Hayward 24" fibreglass filter when it failed a few years ago with the same size, now a plastic vessel, and I'm still happy with it. My pool is about 36K gallons.

A larger filter and a bigger pump may have benefits, as others have suggested, but I think the recommendation from the guys at Hayward is reasonable.

Just my 2 cents based on my experience.

Thanks! No one in my area has anything larger than the 24" in stock... so I either get that, or wait 10 days for something bigger, or buy a cartridge filter...
How you like the Hayward Pump? Not sure what you had before, but did you notice an improvement in your hydro bill? Pool cleanliness?

If it helps, I have a pretty large pool but decided on a REALLY big filter (36" - 925 lbs of sand).

I go a long time between backwashes and when I am cleaning up a mess (not that I ever have one :oops: ) it really holds a lot of debris.

I would oversize again....money well spent in my case.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.