Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Laser 250 Sand Filter - Pin Size Leak

1. Back To Top    #1

Laser 250 Sand Filter - Pin Size Leak

Hey. Got home to find water spraying out of my Laser 250 filter... There appears to be a few pin size holes near the label on the body of filter... I don't know how old the equipment is (got it with the house) but worked fine for last few months I was using... It was hot here in Toronto today (95 degrees) and I had filter on continuously since last night as I had added CYA in a sock (in skimmer)...

I've turned my equipment off as its quite the spray. What's the solution? Can it be patched or do I need to replace??
    26k gal, IG Vinyl, 3/4 HP Pentair Whisperflo, Hayward S310T2 Sand Filter, Polaris 280 Cleaner, SWG
    Richmond Hill, Ontario, Canada

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Laser 250 Sand Filter - Pin Size Leak

What is the body made of?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

I'm sure a patch job would work. Try epoxy for fiberglass. Inside the filter and out.

Wonder if it Is a sign of things to come. What is your filter pressure typically?
    In ground 25,000 gallon - vinyl liner - Sand filter - residential pool
    Also maintain two commercial 190,000 gallon competitive indoor bromine facilities -9x Sand filters

4. Back To Top    #4

I will try - how difficult a job is it to take the filter apart to get to the inside? I did a quick Google search for a manual but no luck. Pressure is typically around 15-17..
    26k gal, IG Vinyl, 3/4 HP Pentair Whisperflo, Hayward S310T2 Sand Filter, Polaris 280 Cleaner, SWG

5. Back To Top    #5

The lasers are blow molded plastic vessels, not fiberglass. I never recommend repairing a pressure vessel that is leaking, however you can do whatever you're comfortable with.

I would replace it with a larger filter. That filter is a little small for a 26,000 gallon pool.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

+1 what bama said. Time for a new, larger one.
    Dave S.

7. Back To Top    #7

What size filter should I be looking at? And Sand, DE or Cartridge?

8. Back To Top    #8

Our recommendations would be a [s:3jjewtzq]200[/s:3jjewtzq] 400 sqft or larger cartridge, a 4.6 sqft sand or about a [s:3jjewtzq]36[/s:3jjewtzq] 72 sqft DE.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump

9. Back To Top    #9

Was talking to the guys at Hayward and they say all I need is a sand 24" filter or 3.2 sqft ... up to a 130,000 litres (34k gallons)
    What am I missing? I'm in Canada so pool only open a few months of the year...

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler
    Our recommendations would be a 200 sqft or larger cartridge, a 4.6 sqft sand or about a 36 sqft DE.
    I think that should be 400 sq. ft. cartridge filter , 4.6 sq. ft. sand filter, or 72 sq. ft. DE filter as tfp recommended minimums.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by hallidina
    Was talking to the guys at Hayward and they say all I need is a sand 24" filter or 3.2 sqft ... up to a 130,000 litres (34k gallons)
    From what I've learned, the manufacturers are always a little aggressive with their sizing. I'm not sure why since bigger filters cost more, but whatever. A small filter means longer run times and higher pressures. The slower you move the water through a sand filter, the better the cleaning and the less trouble with the media rupturing. Bigger is better.
    DIY 28x38x18 Full L, 26,000 gallons, Pentair VS Pump, SWG, CCP 420 Filter, Sta-Rite Max-E-Therm SR400HD Heater, EasyTouch Controller

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by linen
    Our recommendations would be a 200 sqft or larger cartridge, a 4.6 sqft sand or about a 36 sqft DE.
    I think that should be 400 sq. ft. cartridge filter , 4.6 sq. ft. sand filter, or 72 sq. ft. DE filter as tfp recommended minimums.
    You are correct! I posted before I thought!
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

13. Back To Top    #13

I have a 3/4 hp pump currently... do I need to get a new pump if I go w/ the bigger filter? Leaning towards either sand or cartridge. Torn between the two.

14. Back To Top    #14

I would opt for the cartridge in this case and you can stay with the pump you have.

If you decide on the sand, we need to know more about the pump, as I assume it's not the one in your sig.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

15. Back To Top    #15

Hey, it is the one in my signature... but my understanding is that there is no such thing as a 1 HP filter... and that it is likely a 3/4 HP pump ( http://www.pool1.com/Motors_Uprated_Explained.asp)

16. Back To Top    #16

There is such a thing as a 1 hp pump. If you can tell us the hp and service factor on the motor we can tell if it's a full rated ot up rated pump.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

17. Back To Top    #17

I don't think you're missing anything.

I've got the Hayward 24" filter (S244T) and a 1HP Hayward Superpump. Replaced the old Hayward 24" fibreglass filter when it failed a few years ago with the same size, now a plastic vessel, and I'm still happy with it. My pool is about 36K gallons.

A larger filter and a bigger pump may have benefits, as others have suggested, but I think the recommendation from the guys at Hayward is reasonable.

Just my 2 cents based on my experience.
    36K gallon 42X22 gunite/plaster kidney-shaped IG;
    1 hp Hayward Super Pump (new in 2012);
    Hayward S244T sand filter w/ Zeosand (both new in 2009);
    175K BTU LAARS Lite2 LG natural gas heater; Polaris 380;
    TF-100 test kit.

18. Back To Top    #18

There is such a thing as a 1 hp pump. If you can tell us the hp and service factor on the motor we can tell if it's a full rated ot up rated pump.
    My fault. HP is 1.0, SF is 1.25... so I think that makes it a 3/4 HP.
    Is that enough to run the 27" or 30" Hayward Sandfilter?

19. Back To Top    #19

Quote Originally Posted by CUTiger78
    I don't think you're missing anything.

I've got the Hayward 24" filter (S244T) and a 1HP Hayward Superpump. Replaced the old Hayward 24" fibreglass filter when it failed a few years ago with the same size, now a plastic vessel, and I'm still happy with it. My pool is about 36K gallons.

A larger filter and a bigger pump may have benefits, as others have suggested, but I think the recommendation from the guys at Hayward is reasonable.

Just my 2 cents based on my experience.

Thanks! No one in my area has anything larger than the 24" in stock... so I either get that, or wait 10 days for something bigger, or buy a cartridge filter...
    How you like the Hayward Pump? Not sure what you had before, but did you notice an improvement in your hydro bill? Pool cleanliness?

20. Back To Top    #20

In the Industry

If it helps, I have a pretty large pool but decided on a REALLY big filter (36" - 925 lbs of sand).

I go a long time between backwashes and when I am cleaning up a mess (not that I ever have one ) it really holds a lot of debris.

I would oversize again....money well spent in my case.
    Dave S.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast