Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How to fix a small pin hole above water level

1. Back To Top    #1

How to fix a small pin hole above water level

Hey guys ok so brand new liner only 2 months old and tonight I just noticed a small pin hole in it above the water level. It is very small and I am very surprised I even saw it. I thought it was just dirt on the wall. Anyways what is the best way to fix this so no one will see it. Being a brand new liner I don't want anything think showing on it. I just want to get it fixed since when in the pool and the waves splashing it will get a bit in this little hole. I know there are lots of vinyl repair kits with the little clear patches. Is this really my only option or is there some sort of clear product that can fill such a small hole you won't see it? Just worried about the patch turning yellow over time or people seeing it. First time with a vinyl pool so any help from you experienced guys will be great.

Thanks!
    On ground pool 16x32 with deep end -shallow end 4' deep end 7' 80 000L of water pool installed 2011 SW (currently not working) sand filter we are in ontario

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How to fix a small pin hole above water level

My husband melted a small hole in my brand new liner by placing the ladder on it after he super glued it. Well, the glue ran and adheared the liner to the ladder. I gently tried to pull it off which caused a pin hole sized hole. I patched it from behind with 3 patches. The first was pretty small. The second patch was big enough to cover the 1st and then I applied the 3rd patch that covered the 2nd.

What I would suggest to you is to remove the end caps and top rails in that area, pull the liner off the wall and do what I did. The hole seems small enough to not cause an issue and put it back together.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

3. Back To Top    #3

I've used the clear patches. My liner has a lot going on in terms of design so unless you are really looking for the patch it's almost impossible to see. The first hole is like the first dent on a new car.
    2008 23K IG Liner, Pentair intellipump vf, 48DE filter, Heatpump, SWC, aquabot turbo T, K2006 Testkit

4. Back To Top    #4

Just put a small dab of rtv into the pin hole. That will be fine for an above the water line leak.

5. Back To Top    #5

I agree with Casey's fix. Pull the liner back and patch it from the backside. I have a toenail puncture (dang GK's ) that's patched like that and you can't tell it's there.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks guys going to pick up a patch kit tonight. I can't pull the liner back since mine is a bead liner and don't want to have it start pulling out. That would not be a good situation lol. So I will just get a clear patch and do one over it. I just hope it will not show. I have a very dark blue linear with a very graphic boarder so I am thinking no one will even see it.
    On ground pool 16x32 with deep end -shallow end 4' deep end 7' 80 000L of water pool installed 2011 SW (currently not working) sand filter we are in ontario