Question on Pentair Intellifo 011018 Piping Specification

Jul 11, 2013
Question on Pentair Intellifo 011018 Piping Specification

Question: In the Pentair Intellifo 011018 owner’s manual, under the “Piping installation” section, it says “Do not install 90° elbows directly into pump inlet or outlet.” This instruction is a bit ambiguous / not clear enough. I have 12 full inches of straight run into the inlet (suction) side of the pump, which is the critical side for priming purposes. However, on the outlet side (vertical), I intend to use a 2” threaded male adaptor with a slip fit for interfacing my glue-style PVC into. My existing plumbing configuration requires the use of a 90 degree fitting directly onto the threaded male adaptor, so

[b]Does anyone know how critical it to follow the instruction in the Pentair manual? They don’t specify how long the straight run of pipe needs to be before the use of elbows, valves, etc.[/b]

Thanks!!!

Attachments

• Pump-Config.JPG
    Pump-Config.JPG
    62.2 KB · Views: 56
Re: Question on Pentair Intellifo 011018 Piping Specificatio

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

I think it is much more critical on the suction side than it is on the pressure side. That said, I do not know how big of a deal it would be to put the 90 right above the pump ... I would guess it would not matter.

Althoug personally, I would want enough straight pipe above the pump to fit a union in. So any water leak is easier to fix and the pump is easier to remove for service.

Neither is critical, though both will affect the ease of priming the pump. Generally, all you will need to do is lower the maximum pump speed used when priming and you will be alright, though occasionally, when the pump is well above the pool water line, it can affect the ability to prime.

Thanks for all responses folks! It sounds like I should be fine with the 90 degree elbow on the outlet side of the pump.
Also bought a Suntouch controller.... we'll see how this all goes!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.