heat wave in ontario canada

You can get amazing results if your contraption sprays water up into the air and let's it fall like rain onto the surface. When i run mine the "rain" has lost 10 degrees by the time it reaches the pool. I can lower my pool temp several degrees in one hour of running, during the day when it's sunny and 90. After several designs i like this best as my delivery....

Here is a video of one of mine running

You could make it a little smaller if you made it not adjustable.

Mine is 1.5" PVC mainly because that is what my returns are, so it can screw right in...However the piece that transitions from PVC to the garden spray nozzle necks it down to like 1/2".

I have two of those, one mounted on each of my returns, so all my water is going through 4 of those heads. When it is on the pressure on my filter rises by 2, so i am somewhat restricting flow.

I tried getting a really small drill bit and drilling a ton of holes in a length of PVC first, could never get the rain effect that these heads provide however. Plus the larger streams of water created a bunch of noise, that isn't necessary. These aren't intended to vigorously aerate the pool, just cool it.

Ya I am in Ontario too and this is nuts. We have a salt water above ground pool so we don't chance it, we run our filter and pump 24/7 and have never had a problem. I do notice the chlorine dropping with this weather so I will have to turn the chlorinator up a little each day till I can start getting better readings. Been keeping the solar blanket off for sure or I think the water would start boiling lol. Pool is at 90 to 91 the last few days. With this heat it almost is not that refreshing anymore. From what I hear only a few more days of this then we should be into some better weather next week.

woodyp said:
It would be better to aerate the pool at night to reduce water temps. And 90 is a good day in Texas!

With humidex it is well it is well over 100... Yesterday was 32 Celsius and felt like 42. Not sure on how to convert it. Isn't the heat in Texas more dry than here? Kinda like Vegas heat.

Sent from my HTC Ruby using Tapatalk 4 Beta

When there is high humidity, the human body cannot use its own evaporative cooling system so efficiently, so it feels hotter than it really is.

Same principle applies to what we try to do to the pool water, we try to increase evaporation by returning water from above and having as many small jets of water as possible to increase evaporation even further, as evaporation needs energy that comes from the body of water, thus lowering the temperature of the remaining liquid.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
topher said:
woodyp said:
Isn't the heat in Texas more dry than here? Kinda like Vegas heat.

West Texas is the most dry part, but it isn't Vegas or Arizona dry. Still, that is 9-10 hours drive away from the Houston area. The Panhandle is also more dry than here. Pretty much, if you exclude the panhandle... split the state in half north to south and everything east of the line is pretty humid.

Most of the summer here in Houston is what you are experiencing. It's typically 33-38c actual temp and 41-42c heat index (factored for humidity) when high pressure prevails, as it is now. When low pressure prevails the humidity rises even more and the differential increases... typically actual temp goes down a bit but heat index stays the same, due to higher humidity. However, this isn't considered a heat wave. It's normal. We haven't had a heat wave yet this year.

My water has held steady at 88-89f (31.5c) all month and it feels quite refreshing, especially after doing any activity outdoors. It's all perspective I suppose.

I also have an 11' cantilever umbrella over the pool when it's this hot. as the sun moves, probably 1/4-1/3 of the pool is shaded at any point during the day. It help for sure! You might try this as well. If nothing else, I like that it provides a spot of shade to hide from the blaring sun while in the pool. That helps too.

Wow..wish we had your "problems" here in the upper midwest...It's been so cool all summer, our tomatos have yet to turn red, and the rest of our garden is very far behind where it normally. is....I don't even want to TALK about our pool. We have a large above ground that only see's maybe 7 hours of sunlight a day, because of the tree's around it..and the highest our pool temp has been ALL summer is 80F. Our temps during the day have been under 80F and at night our temps dip down below 60F...unheard of for summertime temps. We do have a pool heater, but it would KILL our budget at this point to try and run it enough to keep our pool at 85F right now. It may be an early pool closing this year! :(

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.