Plugging a hole where gauge used to be on a filter?

Jul 17, 2013
What is the best way to plug and fill a hole on a sand filter? I have a hole where there formally was a pressure gauge thing, but the gauge broke off, and dont want to buy a new one. There is a hole there, and when the filter is on, it shoots water out. I tried filling the hole with powergrab, let it sit over night, still squirts out, but not as bad. The top part is plastic. It is where part #7 on the right side of the image below goes into.
silica-II.jpg

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

You should have just been able to screw a PVC plug into it, but now it sounds like it is all gunked up.

Why would you not just spend the < $10 on a new gauge? You need to to understand your filter's health to know when to be backwashing the filter.

Welcome to tfp, Necrosaro420 :wave:

My first reaction is the same as jbliz's...why not replace it? Quicly increasing filter pressure is often the first indicator that algae is in the water. In addition, it is the best way to know when to backflush the filter.

Most pressure gauges are 1/4" npt threads.

Maybe you could find an old gauge that does not work, then use that to plug the hole.

The old, non functional gauge could be found at the same source where you would buy a new gauge, but it would be free.

Also, someone from TFP could donate an old, non functional gauge for the same purpose.

In case the objective is just to plug the hole without unscrewing the remaining part of the gauge that broke off, then a slightly conical piece of wood stuck in the hole could do the trick.

The piece of wood could be convinced to stay in there with the use of some wire wrapped around the filter, pressing the piece of wood in the hole.

It would cost more to ship a broken gauge than to spend probably < $0.25 for a 1/4" PVC plug from the hardware store.

Although this is still not the recommended path forward.

Well I was digging around the shed, did not find a gauge, but I did find an identical top piece, that was missing the gauge, but had the threads in tact. Are most of these gauges universal, or would it need the doughboy brand?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Make sure you get a gauge designed for water, not air.

The gauge on my filter is a combination gauge and bleed valve. This is the wrong time to mention it - but was your problem a matter of a bleed valve being open?
I just ordered a genuine Pentair part (gauge and valve combo) for $17.

happyheathen said:
Make sure you get a gauge designed for water, not air.

The gauge on my filter is a combination gauge and bleed valve. This is the wrong time to mention it - but was your problem a matter of a bleed valve being open?
I just ordered a genuine Pentair part (gauge and valve combo) for $17.

Nah, when we moved the pump into the basement for the winter, it got broke off somehow

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.