Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Plugging a hole where gauge used to be on a filter?

1. Back To Top    #1

Plugging a hole where gauge used to be on a filter?

What is the best way to plug and fill a hole on a sand filter? I have a hole where there formally was a pressure gauge thing, but the gauge broke off, and dont want to buy a new one. There is a hole there, and when the filter is on, it shoots water out. I tried filling the hole with powergrab, let it sit over night, still squirts out, but not as bad. The top part is plastic. It is where part #7 on the right side of the image below goes into.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Plugging a hole where gauge used to be on a filter?

Welcome to TFP!!!

You should have just been able to screw a PVC plug into it, but now it sounds like it is all gunked up.

Why would you not just spend the < $10 on a new gauge? You need to to understand your filter's health to know when to be backwashing the filter.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to tfp, Necrosaro420

My first reaction is the same as jbliz's...why not replace it? Quicly increasing filter pressure is often the first indicator that algae is in the water. In addition, it is the best way to know when to backflush the filter.

Most pressure gauges are 1/4" npt threads.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

4. Back To Top    #4

Maybe you could find an old gauge that does not work, then use that to plug the hole.

The old, non functional gauge could be found at the same source where you would buy a new gauge, but it would be free.

Also, someone from TFP could donate an old, non functional gauge for the same purpose.

In case the objective is just to plug the hole without unscrewing the remaining part of the gauge that broke off, then a slightly conical piece of wood stuck in the hole could do the trick.

The piece of wood could be convinced to stay in there with the use of some wire wrapped around the filter, pressing the piece of wood in the hole.
    Donīt be fooled by the sheep on my bike, I swim with fish in my sound equipped pool.

5. Back To Top    #5

It would cost more to ship a broken gauge than to spend probably < $0.25 for a 1/4" PVC plug from the hardware store.

Although this is still not the recommended path forward.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

6. Back To Top    #6

I vote new gauge------under 10 bucks.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

7. Back To Top    #7

You could find someone with a tap and die set and have them tap the hole for a screw.
    16x32 Oval In-ground Vinyl, ~17,000 gallons, Hayward 1hp Superpump, Hayward S245T Sand Filter

Worn out sand? sand-filter-expert-help-t30049.html
    Drain the easy way: cyanuric-acid-blues-draining-pool-t43843.html
    http://tftestkits.net/splash-page.html , pool-school/chlorine_cya_chart_shock , pool-school/shocking_your_pool

8. Back To Top    #8

Heh thanks. Yeah the entire hole where it screws into is messed up, nothings going to screw into it =( Would have to buy an entire new top piece.

9. Back To Top    #9

Then you can drill the hole a little bigger and re-tap it to 3/8" and put an adapter down to 1/4" for a new gauge.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

10. Back To Top    #10

Well I was digging around the shed, did not find a gauge, but I did find an identical top piece, that was missing the gauge, but had the threads in tact. Are most of these gauges universal, or would it need the doughboy brand?

11. Back To Top    #11

Unless doughboy has different threads...psi is psi so any gauge should work.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

12. Back To Top    #12

Make sure you get a gauge designed for water, not air.

The gauge on my filter is a combination gauge and bleed valve. This is the wrong time to mention it - but was your problem a matter of a bleed valve being open?
    I just ordered a genuine Pentair part (gauge and valve combo) for $17.
    Dave
    Sacramento
    1980's 15,000 Gal IG Plaster; 1 1/2 hp Hayward Northstar; Hayward Swimclear C3025 Cartridge Filter (325 sq ft, nom.); Pentair Legend; Polaris PB4-60; Equipment 40' from pool. p.s.: it's an aye-aye.

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by happyheathen
    Make sure you get a gauge designed for water, not air.

The gauge on my filter is a combination gauge and bleed valve. This is the wrong time to mention it - but was your problem a matter of a bleed valve being open?
    I just ordered a genuine Pentair part (gauge and valve combo) for $17.

Nah, when we moved the pump into the basement for the winter, it got broke off somehow