So you want to add borates to your pool--Why and How

NHeard

Jul 17, 2013
My question is this. I need to increase the PH and TA in the pool and I would like to add borates. I just don't see increasing balancing PH and the TA, then adding adding borates and then muriatic acid and more borates to bring the PH and TA back to normal. Also the warning on the muriatic acid bottle says not to add it to any type of chlorine. So will the chlorine in the pool have a bad reaction with the muriatic acid? or could I just add the borates and then adjust the PH/TA levels as needed?
TH 100
PH 7.2
TA 40
CYA 70

I have a 15 X 48 intex vinyl, intex SWG, sand filter. about 4000 gal water.

Thanks for the welcomes. This is my second season to have a pool, I just decided to register today so that I could ask a question. I try to read and figure things out as much as possible. I love TFPs and tell lots of people about it.

linen, I got my results from a test strip (know those or taboo but it is all I could get for now). The CYA is a guess to what it should be in a few days because I just added it 1 1/2 days ago.

I plan on using Borax

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.