Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Scrubbing the pool - is it really necessary?

1. Back To Top    #1

Scrubbing the pool - is it really necessary?

My pool has been up for over a month now, and I know it's recommended to scrub the entire surface once a week with a brush to curb algae growth. Problem is, I haven't really been doing that, and I haven't had a problem with algae either. The sides of my pool are squeaky clean, and show no algae slipperyness. Am I playing with fire by avoiding this task, or if you keep your pool balanced, this chore doesn't really need to happen?

Thanks,
    --Michael
    33,000 Gallon, 20x40 Vinyl Inground, 500sq feet cartridge filter, 3/4 HP Hayward Super Pump, Installed 6/2013. Central Virginia, USA

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Scrubbing the pool - is it really necessary?

You are taking a risk.

Confession: I do not remember the last time I fully scrubbed my pool, although I have a robot that does an OK job of scrubbing.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Right, I forgot to mention I have a polaris 360 cleaner, and I run it often, so at least the bottom gets touched.
    33,000 Gallon, 20x40 Vinyl Inground, 500sq feet cartridge filter, 3/4 HP Hayward Super Pump, Installed 6/2013. Central Virginia, USA

4. Back To Top    #4

But the 360 does not actually have brushes right? Just uses water movement to suck up the dirt.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

yeah, I guess you're right about that. It has the tail with a spongy thing, but that probably isn't going to do much.

6. Back To Top    #6

*Please note this is my opinion and not supported by any documentation* I think regular brushing is a bigger issue with plaster pools due to the surface texture which provides tiny nooks and crannies for algae to begin if you let your FC drop below recommended levels. As long as your vinyl pool has good circulation, no wrinkles, and the FC stays in range you can probably get away with only brushing every once in a while.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

At a minimum, i would brush the waterline and back of the skimmer. Don't ask why this is my advice
    POOL: Intex ultra new in 2014 (32 x 16 x 52) (seasonal; on concrete pad covered with 1.5" extruded or whatever foam insulation sheets - ugly, but comfy); added a through-wall skimmer; I add salt for feel. EQUIPMENT: Pentair SuperFlo pump (1HP, 2SPD); Pentair cartridge filter (200 sq. ft); Pentair MasterTemp natural gas heater (400,000 btu) Climate/Location: Eastern Nebraska