Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: TC vs FC on Walmart Test

1. Back To Top    #1

TC vs FC on Walmart Test

Hi there! I am new to TFP and a new pool owner. We set up our new pool on 7/13/13, added the salt the next day, waited 24 hours with the pump running and then turned on the SWG per the instruction manual. I bought the cheap 3 way test from walmart you all recommend while I wait for my TF-100 to get here. My question is, what is total chlorine?...that is what the test results give me, not FC like your article says to be testing for. Or am I confused? lol Thanks in advance for your help!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: TC vs FC on Walmart Test

Welcome to TFP!

Total Chlorine is Free Chlorine plus Combined Chlorine. If the water is in good shape, TC is very close to FC.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP!!!

Where did you see a recommendation for a 3-way kit from Walmart? There is a 6-way that is ... OK.

You will be much better off with the TF-100
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle
    Welcome to TFP!!!

Where did you see a recommendation for a 3-way kit from Walmart? There is a 6-way that is ... OK.

You will be much better off with the TF-100
    I just assumed the 3 way would be fine to get an inital idea of PH and Chlorine until my TF-100 gets here on Friday

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by JohnT
    Welcome to TFP!

Total Chlorine is Free Chlorine plus Combined Chlorine. If the water is in good shape, TC is very close to FC.
    Okay, thanks

6. Back To Top    #6

I just assumed the 3 way would be fine to get an inital idea of PH and Chlorine until my TF-100 gets here on Friday
    It is, it's basically the same as the K-1000 that will come with the TF-100. It's fine for ballpark Chlorine and good for PH.
    Dan D
    Used 2003 Aqua Leader 27'x52", 17,800 w/10" hopper, SwimPro SW256T 250# sand filter, Hayward PowerFlo LX pump 1hp impellor, Emerson 1 1/2 hp motor, setup Aug 2012 Summer 2011 used Summer Escapes Ring pool 14' x 42", Intex 1600gph sand filter, HTH 6 way test kitTF-100 w/stirrer, Well water @ FC=0, PH=7.2, TA=290, CH=320

7. Back To Top    #7

Welcome to tfp, Crystal0922

Have you read these pool school articles yet?:
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by linen

Yes, I have read through almost all the articles in Pool School. I don't have all the info memorized yet, but I keep referring to the articles that pertain to my situation the most, such as the two you listed above. I am so glad I found this site, it is very helpful!

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by linen

Linen,

Can I ask why you have the copper bars disconnected on your SWG? I've noticed several people that say they have done that...

10. Back To Top    #10

The copper is slowly deposited in the water to act as an algacide and will build up over time. Excess copper will turn the water a clear green, deposit stains on the liner, and causes blond hair to turn green. When you maintain your pool with proper chlorine levels you do not need an "algacide" and don't have to deal with difficult to remove stains and managing the copper in the water with sequestrants. The only way to remove the copper from the pool is to drain and refill with fresh water.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by zea3
    The copper is slowly deposited in the water to act as an algacide and will build up over time. Excess copper will turn the water a clear green, deposit stains on the liner, and causes blond hair to turn green. When you maintain your pool with proper chlorine levels you do not need an "algacide" and don't have to deal with difficult to remove stains and managing the copper in the water with sequestrants. The only way to remove the copper from the pool is to drain and refill with fresh water.
    How do you disconnect the copper bars?

12. Back To Top    #12

You can just unplug the connector or you can remove the bars themselves. You can find instructions to completely remove the copper bars here.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by zea3
    You can just unplug the connector or you can remove the bars themselves. You can find instructions to completely remove the copper bars here.
    Thank you