Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: dirty rural water makes dirty pool water

1. Back To Top    #1

dirty rural water makes dirty pool water

IST TIME POOL OWNER. Our tap water is always slightly yellow/cloudy. (Or worse). My new AG pool water started out to look like that but the deeper it got,It looks like lake water. Have: added 210lbs salt, 4, 2# bags of Balance and Restore for Salt systems 32oz of Shock and swim (non chlorine)
    Ran sand pump 48 hrs then today I started intex salt water system. (On boost mode).now I've come here because nothing seems to help.
    These are all the tests I have at this time:
    Copper 0
    Free chlorine 5ppm
    Alkaline 40ppm
    P.H. 6.2
    Refilling pool isnt an option because thats the water we live with coming out of faucet.
    I promise ill go to pool school, but, for right now I'd like to know if there's hope.
    AG intex pool 12x24x52" apprx 8500 gal. Intex sand filter, Hayward pump 1 HP, 60GPM with added SWG system, Water Tech Pool Blaster Max Vac. (Iron in faucet water)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: dirty rural water makes dirty pool water

What sort of tests are you using, yellow is likely metal in the water. Also you need to raise your pH
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

3. Back To Top    #3

Is this well water or provided by a utility?
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

4. Back To Top    #4

This is not well water. Its maintained by utility's water co. Also the test strips im using came with the pool. Is there a specific product to raise ph?
    I notice my signature isnt showing up..any advise?
    AG intex pool 12x24x52" apprx 8500 gal. Intex sand filter, Hayward pump 1 HP, 60GPM with added SWG system, Water Tech Pool Blaster Max Vac. (Iron in faucet water)

5. Back To Top    #5

You can use borax, soda ash, or washing soda to raise pH. You may want to have the water tested for iron. If the test is positive you can add a sequestrant to take care of the discoloration of the water.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Lonwat
    This is not well water. Its maintained by utility's water co. Also the test strips im using came with the pool. Is there a specific product to raise ph?
    I notice my signature isnt showing up..any advise?
    I suspect your utility needs to flush their lines. Often this is a problem if you live near the end of a line. If you complain, they may be able to open the flush hydrant and help with your household water. That won't do anything to fix what's already in the pool though.
    TFP Moderator
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

7. Back To Top    #7

Since it's a public utility you can get a water report and find out what's in the water. They are required to give you one if you request it.

As JT said, I'd complain about it and maybe a flush out will help in the future.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks so much. I will get water report from utilities and get better more in depth test strips. Think ill go to the local pool guy and take a water sample.
    Questions: do you think my 1600gph sand filter is large enough
    Can we install an ozonator with our Sw system?

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by Lonwat
    Can we install an ozonator with our Sw system?
    No need for it. There are much better things to spend the money on. Like a Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker!
    TFP Moderator

10. Back To Top    #10

There is no such thing as reliable test strips. The only reliable test kit is a drop based one, the best of which is the K-2006 or TF-100. Also, ozonators are not needed in an outdoor pool, and I believe they in fact can increase chlorine demand. As far as your filter, I have no idea about filtration.
    John
    7 year old ~13,500 gal 24' AGP with 1.5 hp Proline pump, 150 sqft Pleatco cartridge, filled with well water with pH of about 4.5.
    Wanda the Whale pool vacuum, home made heater, Taylor K-2006
    Cloudy Pool? 1) Order test kit. 2) Follow SLAM
    New to TFPC? Read Pool School a few times, then post questions. PoolMath will help with chemical additions.

11. Back To Top    #11

Don't get test strips, there's a test kit comparison in pool school, get one of those. The 1600 should be okay for that size pool.
    Dan D
    Used 2003 Aqua Leader 27'x52", 17,800 w/10" hopper, SwimPro SW256T 250# sand filter, Hayward PowerFlo LX pump 1hp impellor, Emerson 1 1/2 hp motor, setup Aug 2012 Summer 2011 used Summer Escapes Ring pool 14' x 42", Intex 1600gph sand filter, HTH 6 way test kitTF-100 w/stirrer, Well water @ FC=0, PH=7.2, TA=290, CH=320

12. Back To Top    #12

You very likely have high iron in your water, we had the same issue with our rural municipal water, I used hth Metal Control in mine and it cleared up within about 12 hours.
    8638 gallon 20'x52" Intex ultra frame round AG. 2650 gph Intex Sand Filter. Intex krystal Klear SWG. (newer model that includes copper ion generation) Hayward 1091LX skimmer, Kreepy Krauly lil shark. Taylor K-2006 w/speed stir and sample sizer. New this year, Intex PureSpa - dichlor-> bleach method for sanitizing.
    New pool, 16'x36' (approx 18000 gal) in ground pool, Haywood DE filter

13. Back To Top    #13

Pool store tested and had way too much iron. Put in their suggested "metal out" but 24 hours later and no change. Backwashed today and the water that came out was filthy.im kind of at a loss at what to do next. What is a sequestrant...does walmart sell it?.

14. Back To Top    #14

What's in Metal Out? there are only a few chemicals that are really effective sequestrants. see http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-...metal%20stains I used hth Metal Control which is a derivative of phosphonic acid, and it worked for me.
    8638 gallon 20'x52" Intex ultra frame round AG. 2650 gph Intex Sand Filter. Intex krystal Klear SWG. (newer model that includes copper ion generation) Hayward 1091LX skimmer, Kreepy Krauly lil shark. Taylor K-2006 w/speed stir and sample sizer. New this year, Intex PureSpa - dichlor-> bleach method for sanitizing.

15. Back To Top    #15

Finally got chemicals balanced. I found a product called "sink and swim" for all the metal. It actually cleared my pool but left a yellowish powdery substance on pool floor. It says to vacuum this up but when I go to vacuum it seems to stirr it up more than it vacuums. I bought the water tech pool blaster max vac. Which all reviews seemed positive. Any suggestions or is it just a matter of continuing to vac...settle. ..vac

16. Back To Top    #16

Vacuuming with that vacuum won't do any good, the fine particles will just pass right through the mesh bag. You need to use a suction side vacuum to vacuum to waste or through the filter.