Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Light housing screw wont budge

1. Back To Top    #1

Light housing screw wont budge

Hi everyone,
    My fiancee and I just moved in our first house a couple weeks ago. Finally we own a pool!! Unfortunately, light bulb died a day after, and changing procedure should be pretty straight forward but I am experiencing big problem at the very first step. There is only one screw that holding entire housing and for some reason it I can unscrew it. Head of the screw got damaged a bit and I decided to leave it alone until get better idea what could be done. Light is Starite (sunlite)

I am wondering if anyone expirienced similar issue or if knows what could be done.

Thank you in advance!

2. Back To Top    #2
    Orange County, California

Re: Light housing screw wont budge

Welcome aboard! You will get lots of helpful suggestions from the forum members. I had a similar issue and ending up using an "easy out" on a power drill to remove the screw. I didn't have access to tools that would work under water, so I drained the pool down to just below the level of the screw (and used battery powered tools). If you get stuck using this approach, be sure rig up something to catch the metal shaving from the screw so they don't end up in the pool. If you are not in a hurry to get the light fixed, you might want to defer this until you need to partially drain the pool for another reason (like too much CYA).
    ~17' x 34' IG pool with attached spa - 20500 gallons - Gunite with a "pebblesheen"-ish finish
    Jandy iAqualink with iPad and Jandy PDA remote - Pentair IntelliFlo VS 11018 Pump
    AquaRite SWCG - Pentair SMBW 4060 DE Filter - Really Old Raypak heater
    "Wall-E" an Arneson-Hayward Navigator - A couple of Jandy/Zodiac WaterColors LED Lights - Blue-White F-1000 Flow meter

3. Back To Top    #3
    Tucson, AZ

Welcome to TFP!!!

Is the screw sticking out enough that you could grab it with vise grips?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle
    Welcome to TFP!!!

Is the screw sticking out enough that you could grab it with vise grips?

Thank you guys. Screw is not sticking out at all . It's flat with the surface.