dripping booster pump

patplh

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 29, 2009
Massachusetts
We don't use our booster pump anymore and a few days ago, i noticed a pool of water inside the reservoir. it drips every few seconds out of that area onto the ground. there's an arrow in the pic below that points to the reservoir I'm referring to. I can't quite tell where the water is coming from because i can't get a good view of the area.. so i'm not sure how to seal it - any ideas? ideally, i would just kill the water to the booster pump, right - since we're not using the polaris anymore? but does that take a lot of effort?
previous years, we had a problem with the hose that comes out of the top, but we got some pvc glue and that was resolved - it doesn't appear to be leaking from there.

thanks so much!!

Attachments

• DSCF2016xs.jpg
    DSCF2016xs.jpg
    207.4 KB · Views: 67
I'd just connect the discharge and suction hoses together and then the pump would be out of the loop. You can probably use a threaded pvc union if you need to.

The leak is probably the shaft seal. They don't normally go bad if they're not running but stranger things have happened.

thanks bama!
so just to clarify - looking at the new pic i uploaded.. i should connect the end of the tube labeled 1 to the part labeled 2, right?
would i turn the hexagon looking thing where the tube connects to the pipe to disconnect the tube and then use pvc glue to attach the tube to a threaded union? or do i cut the tube?
sorry, I'm just not clear on how to disconnect them and reconnect them.. thanks for any info you can provide! so appreciated!!!
patty

Attachments

• 2013-07-19_12-36-59_716txt2.jpg
    2013-07-19_12-36-59_716txt2.jpg
    201.1 KB · Views: 54
Bama Rambler said:
I'd just connect the discharge and suction hoses together and then the pump would be out of the loop. You can probably use a threaded pvc union if you need to.

The leak is probably the shaft seal. They don't normally go bad if they're not running but stranger things have happened.

just quoting you so maybe it'll show up as an alert that i had another question? :) sorry, don't mean to be pushy.. totally understand if you are busy!!
thanks again

What he meant was that you can connect the 3/4" screw connections that go in to your booster pump by screwing them out of the pump and then connect these 2 in a screw in union. This would not involve any pvc glue and in that case that, if, on a later date when you decide to use that pump again it is simply a matter of screwing them out of the union and back in to the pump. Glue is rather permanent and teflon tape is not. No need to glue.
And yes, 1 and 2 joint together by a 3/4" union. The flexible hoses.
Hope this helps.

A union looks like this

762f8403-797a-4c27-9daa-723e5fdaf686_300.jpg

The large coupling section in the middle unscrews and you can take the union and make two halves. The left half threads to the hose you unscrew from the pump inlet and the right half screws to the hose that unscrews from the pump's outlet. Then the two halves are connected using the large coupling in the middle. You can get these that glue to the pipes also. I know my HomeDepot has these in stock for less than $4. use teflon tape or thread sealant, ask the store employee.

techguy said:
A union looks like this

762f8403-797a-4c27-9daa-723e5fdaf686_300.jpg

thanks so much.. i was able to pick one up at Ace hardware - but we can't get the hoses off the booster pump because there isn't enough slack to turn it . we removed the cover to the booster pump that is attached to the two hoses, but still can't twist and turn it enough to remove either of the hoses. Am i missing something? is my only option to cut the hose and reattach it to one of the unions that you glue the hose??
thanks again.

Sounds like it may be the best option.

I can't tell from the photo but it appears other ends of the booster have flex PVC? You can glue flex but I understand it is less forgiving. If you cut the flex, can you unthread the other end? Are the flex section glued into rigid coupling or are the glued into threaded adapters that are threaded into threaded fittings? If you could cut the flex and then unthread one or both ends, you add new flex or rigid PVC. If you added unions, you could re-install the booster pump later if you wanted. I am not a huge fan of the flex product but it has its place.

My husband was able to twist the tubes a little bit more than I did and managed to remove one - guessing that when the pipe separate from the connection last summer, when we glued it back in place, we should have gave it some extra twists to compensate for how it was twisted when it was installed.

either way, we got the union screwed in and we are all set.. so thank you for everyone's feedback!

as for capping both ends.. i thought that might be the solution before I posted, but others suggested the unions, so I just went with it and it worked.. so i'm happy.

thanks again

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.