Solar Reel Cover Install Advice

May 9, 2013
North East Ohio
I have a in ground solar cover reel from GLI (their Pro Series) and I am ready to attach the "straps" to the actual cover.

They show two ways of doing it, one if your reel is in the middle of pool and the other if at the end.

Even though my reel will be at the end, it seems the install through the "fold" of cover material will be MUCH stronger and I can't see any downside of that method. My silly PB ordered me a super heavy 16mm cover thinking it was better, so it is quite heavy.

Please let me know if you all agree or if I am not thinking clearly.

[attachment=0:dtymku37]Solar reel install.jpg[/attachment:dtymku37]

Attachments

• Solar reel install.jpg
    Solar reel install.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 146
I put 7 across a 12 foot span (13 foot pool starting 6 inches from each end) and I don't think it's too much. It would be nice to keep one for a spare but I have 13 spares - they sent 2 sets. You use your 10. PM me your address and I'll send you a couple of spares in an envelope.

Ok, follow up question, as I am finally getting the free moment to install this.

I am curious if I should install this WIDE ENOUGH to be able to roll the entire unit across the width of the pool or narrow enough to just clear the edges. See the pictures below...

If I install wide - it will be a touch weaker as I will nearly be at the limit of the width, if I install narrow I will ever so slightly gain a bit of strength (or I could be over thinking).

Is there any reason why I would want to do one versus the other ?

[attachment=1:3oxelc0b]cover install 1.jpg[/attachment:3oxelc0b]

[attachment=0:3oxelc0b]cover install 2.jpg[/attachment:3oxelc0b]

Attachments

• cover install 1.jpg
    cover install 1.jpg
    161.6 KB · Views: 96
  • cover install 2.jpg
    cover install 2.jpg
    152 KB · Views: 96
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.