Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Solar Reel Cover Install Advice

1. Back To Top    #1

Solar Reel Cover Install Advice

I have a in ground solar cover reel from GLI (their Pro Series) and I am ready to attach the "straps" to the actual cover.

They show two ways of doing it, one if your reel is in the middle of pool and the other if at the end.

Even though my reel will be at the end, it seems the install through the "fold" of cover material will be MUCH stronger and I can't see any downside of that method. My silly PB ordered me a super heavy 16mm cover thinking it was better, so it is quite heavy.

Please let me know if you all agree or if I am not thinking clearly.

[attachment=0:dtymku37]Solar reel install.jpg[/attachment:dtymku37]
    Attached Images Attached Images
    14,750 GAL IG Fiberglass (16 x 33) NE Ohio || Jandy 1HP 2 speed Pump || Waterco MultiCyclone 16 Centrifugal pre-filter (removed due to not working with sand filter) || 30" 575 Lb. Sand Filter || AquaCal 140K BTU Heat Pump || Solar Cover || Inter-fab Adrenaline Slide || GLI Monsoon Solar Cover Reel || K-2006C Test Kit || BBB with Liquid Chlorine Stenner Injection || Rayner Mighty Mesh Winter Cover

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Solar Reel Cover Install Advice

I have mine installed at the end and I folded it for the same reason you're thinking.
    13'x22'x52" 8,000 gallon ProSeries Pool with Borates
    Intex 110 pound Sand Filter with Zeobrite, 2650 gph pump, 0.95 hp
    Bestway SWG
    AquaPro ECO500 50,000 BTU heat pump
    GLI Whirlwind Solar Cover Reel, TF-100 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Awesome...thanks for the feedback, then end it will be!
    14,750 GAL IG Fiberglass (16 x 33) NE Ohio || Jandy 1HP 2 speed Pump || Waterco MultiCyclone 16 Centrifugal pre-filter (removed due to not working with sand filter) || 30" 575 Lb. Sand Filter || AquaCal 140K BTU Heat Pump || Solar Cover || Inter-fab Adrenaline Slide || GLI Monsoon Solar Cover Reel || K-2006C Test Kit || BBB with Liquid Chlorine Stenner Injection || Rayner Mighty Mesh Winter Cover

4. Back To Top    #4

No problem. Let me know if the plastic screws reach through to the bracket when your 16 mm is folded. I don't think it should be a problem.
    Bestway SWG

5. Back To Top    #5

Ah, good point...have not considered that yet.

As a side note, it comes with 10 straps - I assume I want to use them all and just space them across the 15' span ?

6. Back To Top    #6

I put 7 across a 12 foot span (13 foot pool starting 6 inches from each end) and I don't think it's too much. It would be nice to keep one for a spare but I have 13 spares - they sent 2 sets. You use your 10. PM me your address and I'll send you a couple of spares in an envelope.
    Bestway SWG

7. Back To Top    #7

Ok, thanks for the confirmation....

8. Back To Top    #8

Ok, follow up question, as I am finally getting the free moment to install this.

I am curious if I should install this WIDE ENOUGH to be able to roll the entire unit across the width of the pool or narrow enough to just clear the edges. See the pictures below...

If I install wide - it will be a touch weaker as I will nearly be at the limit of the width, if I install narrow I will ever so slightly gain a bit of strength (or I could be over thinking).

Is there any reason why I would want to do one versus the other ?

[attachment=1:3oxelc0b]cover install 1.jpg[/attachment:3oxelc0b]

[attachment=0:3oxelc0b]cover install 2.jpg[/attachment:3oxelc0b]
    Attached Images Attached Images