Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: High TA

1. Back To Top    #1

pecatonica Illinois

High TA

I have a 15x 42 deep (approx. 4400 gal) intex pool.

My TA is at 340 which I know is WAY high. I was wondering a couple of things.

1st what is the importance of TA?

If the TA is that high is there a risk to swimmers?

I know last year this ran high as well, right around the same, I don't seem to have a problem with keeping my ph in check... it is 7.2 now , I only had algae once last year and that was because I let my FC drop to zero.

If I need to adjust my TA what is the best way to go about this, I would use Muriatic Acid.
    I have read about arrigating and would not know how to do this with my pool type.
    15ftx4ft intex sand-n-sun metal frame pool. Approx. 4400 gal

2. Back To Top    #2
    SWSuburban Chicago, IL
    Aerating - can you consider a little "pool fountain" that would attach to your pool return?

I don't think that high TA would pose a risk... but others will be along to confirm that.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner

3. Back To Top    #3
    South Carolina
    Hi d-i ,

Total alkalinity indicates the water's ability to buffer PH changes.

You will get a lot of good info if you read the stickies. They are located at the top of each page in the sub-heading. Also a link in my sig. There is also one specifically for lowering your TA.

Welcome to the forum.
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4
    Silver Spring, MD
    High TA isn't at all a problem in and of it's self. There are two problems that can result from high TA levels. First, PH will tend to rise quickly. If you don't keep the PH under control it can cause problems. Seconds, high TA levels raise the calcium saturation, so it can contribute to calcium scaling.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School