This morning:
    FC 13
    CC .5
    TC 13.5
    PH 7.3
    CYA 30
    TA 100
    CAL 400

Waited too long and let too much junk get into the pool this spring.. Raised CL level to near 20. Shoveled (with the net) loads of junk out of the bottom of the dark green pool.. kept CL at 20 for about 6 days as I scrubbed and vacuumed to waste. Pump running around the clock.

Got water to cloudy, milky white color.. but couldn't see the bottom. Added Polyquat (60%) and some clarifier. Also.. I am using a skimmer sock.

Then Monday morning the water was pretty clear (I could see the bottom).. but I had a bunch of stuff floating on the top.. and a pile of the same stuff in the middle on the bottom. The floating junk looked like this:

Is this dead algae?

I was able to carefully scoop out (with the net) the floating stuff.. and I got in and vacuumed to waste the stuff from the bottom.

Today the water seems a little clearer.. and the floaties are almost non existant.. but I have another pile of the junk in the middle.. looks like this:

I will vacuum again.. am I still killing algae.. or is this just stuff that settles? Should I stay at a high CL level? I have already spent over $100 in bleach.

Thanks for your opinions.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Is this dead algae? Pictures

It sure looks like dead algae. It could be pollen, too.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

I will vacuum again.. am I still killing algae.. or is this just stuff that settles? Should I stay at a high CL level? I have already spent over $100 in bleach.
    You need to pass the three tests that declare when you are done with the SLAM process. See red lines in my sig.
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Butterfly
    You need to pass the three tests that declare when you are done with the SLAM process. See red lines in my sig.
    thanks guys... passed the test!

Update.. as of now (other post was actually yesterdays numbers, etc). Vacuumed to waste again last night. unbolted wedding cake steps and turned them over. Bunch more of that "stuff" came out.. Vacuumed that and netted out some floating "stuff". Water is CLEAR.. just a little (very little) pile of debris in the middle this morning... nothing solid, just loose debris.

5. Back To Top    #5

Always like to follow up.. after a "clear up".. just to reassure folks that it really works. A couple of weeks ago it was green and smelled bad.. really.
    this passed weekend:

6. Back To Top    #6

Looks great
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by chuck9997
    unbolted wedding cake steps and turned them over. Bunch more of that "stuff" came out.. Vacuumed that and netted out some floating "stuff".
    I have some steps like that. I just took mine out and cleaned them the other day. On the underside, back in the nooks and crannies there was some algae. Wouldnt have known it from the chlorine demand. There really isnt enough water flow through the steps I dont believe. Also if you have some underwater lights, you may want to remove the cover/bulb and check there.
    18,000 Gallon Aboveground. Sand Filter with 2HP 2 speed Pump.

8. Back To Top    #8

I am also in east Tennessee.. near Knoxville.