Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Anyone connected a Liquidator into an EcoStar pump drain?

1. Back To Top    #1

Anyone connected a Liquidator into an EcoStar pump drain?

First off, let me say this forum is great, and this is my first post

I ordered my Liquidator, so it is on its way. I've been reading lots of posts and like the idea of connecting the LQ outlet to my pump drain and not drilling another hole in my plumbing. My issue is that I have a Hayward EcoStar pump and it seems to have two drain plugs - neither of which run directly to the basket. I have no idea why it has two. There is no documentation about them on the Hayward website.

Has anyone hooked their LQ up to a Hayward EcoStar via its drain? If so, which drain did you use?

Thanks everyone in advance! - Larry

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Anyone connected a Liquidator into an EcoStar pump drain

The drain plug closest to the front of the pump goes to the strainer pot and is on the suction side of the impeller. That should work for you.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

So, when you say "front", you mean the one closer to the basket?

4. Back To Top    #4

Closer to the suction port, correct.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by lrk2
    So, when you say "front", you mean the one closer to the basket?
    Yes. Bama is correct. I have mine hooked up to the closest drain hole to the basket of my Jandy pump. Using a quick disconnect connection from Home Depot or Lowes makes the installation real easy and real clean.

David
    11,000 Gal Trilogy "Utopia" Fiberglass Pool, 1HP Jandy Pump, Jandy CS200 Cartridge Filter, Raypak 199k BTU Heater, Liquidator, CMP Off-Line Chlorinator. Cleaners: Polaris 360, Blue Diamond, Poolvernuegen Pressure

6. Back To Top    #6

Hopefully the Jandy works the same way as the Hayward EcoStar.

Is this the right part to connect to it?
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000BVQ9L2/

Thanks, Larry

7. Back To Top    #7

Yes. That is the correct part. There is also a right angle version too.

David
    11,000 Gal Trilogy "Utopia" Fiberglass Pool, 1HP Jandy Pump, Jandy CS200 Cartridge Filter, Raypak 199k BTU Heater, Liquidator, CMP Off-Line Chlorinator. Cleaners: Polaris 360, Blue Diamond, Poolvernuegen Pressure

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by bibeaud
    Yes. That is the correct part. There is also a right angle version too.

David
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
    Also. If you have a heater, connect a second plug to the heater drain port which will bring the water into the LQ and the filter drain port will take the higher chlorinated water out of the LQ. No drilling needed.

David

9. Back To Top    #9

That's correct. The heater drain sends water into the LQ and the pump basket drain draws water out of the LQ.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

10. Back To Top    #10

Also. If you have a heater, connect a second plug to the heater drain port which will bring the water into the LQ and the filter drain port will take the higher chlorinated water out of the LQ. No drilling needed.

David
    No, I don't have a heater...does the second drain plug on the EcoStar connect to the outflow side of the pump? If so, could I connect the line to the LQ inflow to that and bypass the filter entirely?

- Larry

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by lrk2

David
    No, I don't have a heater...does the second drain plug on the EcoStar connect to the outflow side of the pump? If so, could I connect the line to the LQ inflow to that and bypass the filter entirely?

- Larry
    OK, I just loosened the other drain plug while the pump was running and water started squirting out...so it looks like it is on the output side of the pump. So, I think it should work. What is the downside that I'm missing? I don't really see why the water should flow through the filter before coming into the LQ. Has anyone else tried this?

Thanks, Larry

12. Back To Top    #12

The purpose of having the LQ inlet hooked after the filter is so that it gets filled with clean water so if debris went through the pump it would get caught by the filter and not clog the LQ hose or float valve.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

13. Back To Top    #13

That makes total sense! Thanks