using chloring bleach

Jul 16, 2013
i have been reading on here about using chlorine bleach to bring levels up, mine by the way dont even register even at the pool store,,,chlorine (0), ph is at 7.8, no phosphorous, hardness (200), alka (120), cya (0-30)
as per the htc 6 way strip ,and were close to the pool stores reading
so after spending lots from them for shock and wally world also still not anything showing, so back to the top,, i have an intex easy set pool 18' ,new filter yesterday, its roughly 7.5k to 10k gallons
my question is since i couldnt find one is how long before the pool can be used if adding bleach?
pools kinda green and cloudy need to get it up to par for grand kids there comments (ewww the waters green and can't see the bottom) gotta love kids,
so if you can answer it would be great i have them coming on thursday prob wont clear up by them but would be better,,,thank you

Welcome to TFP....and please listen to the kids. If they can't see bottom, they shouldn't be in there. Go visit pool school and read about SLAMming your pool. They can safely swim up to shock level for your cya. We need a full set of test numbers to diagnose. You can swim about 30 minutes or so after just adding bleach while it is circulating.

First your gonna need your own real test kit. A range of 0 to 30 is not useful for a CYA reading. You will also need a test kit with the FAS/DPD chlorine test cause you need to SLAM your pool to kill the alge and get it clear.

Recommended test kits are the taylor K-2006 or a kit from http://tftestkits.net/Test-Kits-c4/
If you can swing the cost of the TF-100 it might be the most sensible when starting with a green pool. It will pay for itself when you stop spending hundreds of dollars at the pool store.

Clearing up a green pool, (Shocking or SLAMing as its called now) is not a product or a one and done thing. Its a process that takes multiple days and many jugs of bleach/liquid chlorine

How to SLAM: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-school/shocking_your_pool

thanks woodyp and scott, im gonna take a water sample in again in the morning for the exact numbers and i will post them for more follow up,, i just read about slamming and i used the bbb pool calculator also for how much bleach to start with you guys are such a help

bjulsrud said:
thanks woodyp and scott, im gonna take a water sample in again in the morning for the exact numbers and i will post them for more follow up,, i just read about slamming and i used the bbb pool calculator also for how much bleach to start with you guys are such a help

Seriously, I know it is hard to believe, but the pool store testing is very bad. It took me a year to convince my wife. "They are professionals and have been in the business for 20 years - how can they be wrong". Not until I showed her the tests, we did them together, she did her own reading on the web and then we did an immediate comparison to the pool store, was she convinced.

Please take control of your pool and get one of the recommended kits - you will not regret it.

I think the accuracy of the pool store testing depends a lot on the store. In past years I'd take water into two different stores and get two totally different test results.

My local store just bought a new testing system which seems to be *much* better and the results closely match what I'm getting with a TF-100 test kit.

I think we have to accept that the pool store in general doesn't care about your pool, they care about selling you chemicals.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.