New to TFP, fairly new pool owner

Jul 16, 2013
I was out of town and chlorine level got too low and when I open the pool the water was cloudy. I began the shocking process per the forum and was wondering how long this process can take. My water is now crystal clear, but I can't seem to maintain chlorine level overnight (drops more than 1 ppm). My pool metrics are:

FC = 20 (shocking and have been shocking for four days)
CC = 0.5
pH = 7.5
CYA = 50
Alkalinity = 140

Typically, the FC level drops to 12 to 15 ppm overnight, so I assume I am still fighting the algae. How long can this process take? Days? Weeks?

Also, I was curious how much I can expect the FC to drop on a typical day with pool temp 85F, sunny skies, and multiple people in the pool for 8 hrs.

I appreciate any input

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

The SLAM process takes as long as it takes ... anywhere from a few days to a few weeks.

A clean pool with no use will lose 2-3ppm of FC to the sun each day ... having people in it will raise that number at least a few ppm ... how clean are the swimmers and do they visit the bathroom? ;)

You're dropping 5 to 7 points overnight............. I sure don't understand how your water is described as crystal clear. And if so.........you are NOT maintaining ad adequate SLAM level. You need to check it more often it seems so that it does not drop below SLAM level overnight.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.