Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New to TFP, fairly new pool owner

1. Back To Top    #1

New to TFP, fairly new pool owner

I was out of town and chlorine level got too low and when I open the pool the water was cloudy. I began the shocking process per the forum and was wondering how long this process can take. My water is now crystal clear, but I can't seem to maintain chlorine level overnight (drops more than 1 ppm). My pool metrics are:

FC = 20 (shocking and have been shocking for four days)
    CC = 0.5
    pH = 7.5
    CYA = 50
    Alkalinity = 140

Typically, the FC level drops to 12 to 15 ppm overnight, so I assume I am still fighting the algae. How long can this process take? Days? Weeks?

Also, I was curious how much I can expect the FC to drop on a typical day with pool temp 85F, sunny skies, and multiple people in the pool for 8 hrs.

I appreciate any input

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New to TFP, fairly new pool owner

Welcome to TFP!!!

The SLAM process takes as long as it takes ... anywhere from a few days to a few weeks.

A clean pool with no use will lose 2-3ppm of FC to the sun each day ... having people in it will raise that number at least a few ppm ... how clean are the swimmers and do they visit the bathroom?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

It can take days. Your done when

1 you pass the OCLT
    2 CC OF 0.5 or less
    3 water is crystal clear

Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

4. Back To Top    #4

You're dropping 5 to 7 points overnight............. I sure don't understand how your water is described as crystal clear. And if so.........you are NOT maintaining ad adequate SLAM level. You need to check it more often it seems so that it does not drop below SLAM level overnight.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

5. Back To Top    #5

Ok, thanks for input and will measure more frequently and continue to SLAM. What FC level is too high to swim in?

6. Back To Top    #6

We say it is safe below shock level, assuming the water is clear.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!