Automating bleach / chlorine

Jul 20, 2010
Raleigh, NC
Not in the market money-wise for the Liquidator right now. Hopefully something we can add for next season.

In the meantime, what are the drawbacks for the chlorine tab floating device? I am NOT married to chlorine tabs ... Actually old-fashioned bleach has worked great ... But needing to manually add 60 - 120oz of bleach everyday is sometimes not feasible.

Any suggestions?

Have you read any of Pool School or the countless "my pool just turned green" threads?
pool-school/types_chlorine_pool

Pucks = trichlor. They add FC which is consumed and CYA which builds up and lower the pH. As the CYA rises, the required FC level rises ... but the pucks are not adding enough FC so the pool turns green.

What is your CYA level? If it is already high, then you must not use pucks.

I have read thru pool school several times, but honestly not in the last couple of weeks. I recalled pucks adding other chemicals, but couldn't recall exactly which chemical. And I didn't realize the "pool is green" posts are due to feeders not adding enough FC....

At last check this weekend my CYA & TA were in a good range ... I'm waiting a few more days to test all levels as we got a little rain today & possibly more tomorrow ... pH has stayed right around 7.5 since pool was installed about a month ago.

Having said all this - I'm wondering if there's any sort of low cost option for now? A SWG or liquidator are just not in my budget right now ...Although the pump & filter upgrade has never been a regret, I'm still recovering from that cost (since my inexpensive pool didnt help justify that cost ... And after watching the installation of 26 perfectly level blocks i just didn't have the heart to suggest we pack up the intex and trade it in for a more expensive pool so i could justify other costs ... Jk but couldn't resist)

Sorry for rant .. Back to original question ... Anything I can do to somehow automate bleach or chlorine for now?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.