Cloudy Pool Water

kmmn

Jul 16, 2013
I have a 10 year old Salt Water Pool (white plaster). Came back from a 2 week vacation and the water looked great... clear and Free / Combined Chlorine were 3 PPM. One week later it went all to heck. (We have a safety cover, so I don't always see things happening). The water was very cloudy and I had no chlorine. After a few hours, I realized that I had DE in the pool. (The fitting on the top of the filter manifold was blown apart, but I was able to find a dealer open 30 miles away (it was late Sunday, so I'll take what I can get). After cleaning the filter grids, I realized that an O-ring was cracked and wrapped with teflon tape... nice. (a surprise from the guys that open/close the pool). That's now fixed, so the DE should either be in the filter or the lawn, but not the pool.

So for the new problem... the pool store (closer to me) did a demand test and said that I need 52 lbs of shock. Every time I shock to their level, it takes me a long time to get the Free / Combined Chlorine down to a readable level (even with 50-50 dilution). So far, I've put about 27 lbs in and the Free Chlorine is beyond readable... should I add the rest or see what happens over night? The water looked good before shocking, but it's cloudy now. (The pump pressure is rising, so I assume I'm getting rid of Combined Chlorine.
I have a new Blue Essence Chlorine Generator, so I don't think I have a problem there (and the chlorine is too high to try to crack open the fitting and test the water as it exits the cell).

Thanks,
Martin

Hi, welcome to TFP! Do you know if it is cal-hypo or dichlor based "shock"?

If you could post a current set of test results that would help us see what is going on with your pool. Don't put anything else in there until you have posted the test results and we have given you feedback.

The best way to take control of your pool is to invest in a high quality test kit such as the Taylor k2006 or the TF100. When you are able to perform your own testing you will have reliable results to enable you to dose the pool appropriately as needed.

Please edit your signature to include information about the pool such as pool type (above ground or in ground), surface (vinyl, plaster, or fiberglass), size in gallons, pump brand and horsepower, filter type (sand, DE, or cartridge), filter brand and size, and any water features, cleaning systems, and if there is a spa (attached or detached).

52 lbs of any chemical is a lot. When I shock my big pools I only need about 25 lbs to start with. I would hold off and get the test results posted before adding anything. And a brief description of your pool; gallons, above ground, anything would help....

It's a Calcium Hypochloride Shock.

The pressure built up to over 20 PSI (typical initial pressure is 8-10 PSI).
I followed the recommendation and brushed t he entire pool and then back washed it. It's clear, but not crystal clear.

Pressure is now at 16 PSI
The Pool Chemistry is as follows:
FC - 10 PPM
TC - 10 PPM
pH - 7.3
CYA - 62
Temp - 88

Thanks,
Martin

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.