Clorine test orange

Jul 16, 2013
Hi all, I am a big fan of this site and have learned a lot from all the posts. I'm still learning about the care of my pool and wanted to post a problem that just came up for me. My new pool has been up and running for almost 3 months. Chemicals have been very good, all maintained with good readings. Took a trip to the local pool store for my monthly reading from them - ph at 7.5, FCC at 5ppm, ( a little high) alkalinity, calcium all at very good levels and zero copper and iron. CA extremely high so I am considering draining about half the water and refilling to bring it down. All is going well with an extremely clear pool.

Pool store recommended a shock since I have not shocked to date, so I did on Sunday evening.

Ra the pump for about 12 to 14 hours, pool cleared up nicely. I am running the pump about 10 hours a day. 10 to 3 and 5 to 10.

Today I took a sample and did a PH and Chlorine test. PH was just fine, about 7.4 but the chlorine was orange, not yellow in the test. I did the chlorine test 2 more times with the same result. I'm using a new TL100 test kit so I feel confident it is fine.

Any ideas as to the test results? Plan on taking a sample to the pool tomorrow to see how their test comes out.

Appreciate the feedback

Any ideas as to why the test gave an orange color? Going to test again tomorrow

Are you using the little test kit that has you match the color to determine chlorine and pH? If so, that is only useful up to a certain chlorine level (7 ppm, I think). If your chlorine is higher than that the color indicator tends toward an orange/reddish color. Use the DPD test in your kit to measure levels above the limits of the basic test.

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

The orange in the OTO test just means your FC is high ... likely above 15ppm. If you have the TF-100, why are you not using the FAS-DPD test? And if you have the kit, why would you go to the pool store for advice? There is no reason to regularly "shock" the pool as they say.

If you have a problem in the water, then you need to SLAM the pool. [slam:1fpdbioz][/slam:1fpdbioz]

Post up all the numbers from YOUR testing, not the pool stores.

Thanks for the quick reply. Yes I did the simple test the first time just to get an idea of where the chlorine level was after the shock.

I just did a drop test and the chlorine is through the roof, roughly 20 ppm. Was planning on draining the pool this week-end to lower my CA. Guess I can take care of that as well as the chlorine.

Is that typical that the chlorine level go that high with one pound of shock? My pool is approximately 13,000 gallons.

Thansk again

20ppm is not through the roof .... depends on your CYA level (which is what I am assuming is what you are calling CA).

And no that is not possible with 1 lb of chlorine powder.

What are all your test results? :whip:

Thank you JB, you are correct. I do my own testing regularly but since I am still reltively new to this I take the water to the pool store for comparison and to test the copper, iron and stabilizer to make certain they are inline.

I don't like adding anything, only when necessary. In three months the pool has been up and running I have added acid only twice. All my readings are good except for my CA which I am going to get taken care of this week-end.

Any other advise is greatly appreciated.

Thanks again!

Thanks to all. I have read the pool school basics several times and done some research on a few other sites as well.

My Test-7/4
PH. 7.3
Free Chlorine. 8
Zero Combined Chlorine
Alkalinity. 90
Calcium. 290
Cyanuric Acid. 100

Pool Store Test
Free Chlorine 5
Zero Combined Chlorine
PH. 7.6
Hardness. 230
Alkalinity. 100
Cyanuric Acid 100 to 150
Zero Copper
Zero Iron
Total Dissolved Solids. 1100 ppm

Thank you :goodjob:

Now that you have stated the CYA test was 100ppm. You should re-do that test starting with a 50/50 mix of pool water and tap water, then add the reagent, then double the result. This will give you a better idea just how much water you need to replace.

Why on earth would you look at another website for pool advice :shock: :cry:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
This is the only site I have booked marked. ;-)

The chemicals were all inline up to this point, really got whacked when I shocked. Won't make that mistake again.

Will post again once I drain and refill.

Really appreciate your responses.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.