Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Clorine test orange

1. Back To Top    #1

Clorine test orange

Hi all, I am a big fan of this site and have learned a lot from all the posts. I'm still learning about the care of my pool and wanted to post a problem that just came up for me. My new pool has been up and running for almost 3 months. Chemicals have been very good, all maintained with good readings. Took a trip to the local pool store for my monthly reading from them - ph at 7.5, FCC at 5ppm, ( a little high) alkalinity, calcium all at very good levels and zero copper and iron. CA extremely high so I am considering draining about half the water and refilling to bring it down. All is going well with an extremely clear pool.

Pool store recommended a shock since I have not shocked to date, so I did on Sunday evening.

Ra the pump for about 12 to 14 hours, pool cleared up nicely. I am running the pump about 10 hours a day. 10 to 3 and 5 to 10.

Today I took a sample and did a PH and Chlorine test. PH was just fine, about 7.4 but the chlorine was orange, not yellow in the test. I did the chlorine test 2 more times with the same result. I'm using a new TL100 test kit so I feel confident it is fine.

Any ideas as to the test results? Plan on taking a sample to the pool tomorrow to see how their test comes out.

Appreciate the feedback

Any ideas as to why the test gave an orange color? Going to test again tomorrow
    17x30 freeform IG w/spa & spillover approx. 13,000g, exposed aggregate "Florida Pearl" finish; Hayward PS-4 automation w/T15 salt cell, SP3400 var. sp. pump & C1200 filter; Gulfstream 120,000 BTU HP; Pentair auto & manual valves. Built Jan 2013

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Clorine test orange

Are you using the little test kit that has you match the color to determine chlorine and pH? If so, that is only useful up to a certain chlorine level (7 ppm, I think). If your chlorine is higher than that the color indicator tends toward an orange/reddish color. Use the DPD test in your kit to measure levels above the limits of the basic test.
    16x32 Oval In-ground Vinyl, ~17,000 gallons, Hayward 1hp Superpump, Hayward S245T Sand Filter

Worn out sand? sand-filter-expert-help-t30049.html
    Drain the easy way: cyanuric-acid-blues-draining-pool-t43843.html
    http://tftestkits.net/splash-page.html , pool-school/chlorine_cya_chart_shock , pool-school/shocking_your_pool

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP!!!

The orange in the OTO test just means your FC is high ... likely above 15ppm. If you have the TF-100, why are you not using the FAS-DPD test? And if you have the kit, why would you go to the pool store for advice? There is no reason to regularly "shock" the pool as they say.

If you have a problem in the water, then you need to SLAM the pool. [slam:1fpdbioz][/slam:1fpdbioz]

Post up all the numbers from YOUR testing, not the pool stores.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks for the quick reply. Yes I did the simple test the first time just to get an idea of where the chlorine level was after the shock.

I just did a drop test and the chlorine is through the roof, roughly 20 ppm. Was planning on draining the pool this week-end to lower my CA. Guess I can take care of that as well as the chlorine.

Is that typical that the chlorine level go that high with one pound of shock? My pool is approximately 13,000 gallons.

Thansk again
    17x30 freeform IG w/spa & spillover approx. 13,000g, exposed aggregate "Florida Pearl" finish; Hayward PS-4 automation w/T15 salt cell, SP3400 var. sp. pump & C1200 filter; Gulfstream 120,000 BTU HP; Pentair auto & manual valves. Built Jan 2013

5. Back To Top    #5

20ppm is not through the roof .... depends on your CYA level (which is what I am assuming is what you are calling CA).

And no that is not possible with 1 lb of chlorine powder.

What are all your test results?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

6. Back To Top    #6

Thank you JB, you are correct. I do my own testing regularly but since I am still reltively new to this I take the water to the pool store for comparison and to test the copper, iron and stabilizer to make certain they are inline.

I don't like adding anything, only when necessary. In three months the pool has been up and running I have added acid only twice. All my readings are good except for my CA which I am going to get taken care of this week-end.

Any other advise is greatly appreciated.

Thanks again!

7. Back To Top    #7

FYI, the test that the pool stores are notoriously the worst at is the CYA test. Using them for the metal tests is fine.

What are all YOUR test results?
    Jason, TFP Moderator

8. Back To Top    #8

Welcome to the forum!

As a new member I would urge you to read pool school. http://www.troublefreepool.com/categ...etting_started

That way you can get the knowledge you need to handle your pool without going to the pool store for advise.
    13,500gal AGP Matrix 24'
    Pentair Sanddollar SD-80 75GPM filter, Pentair Dynamo 1HP 2 speed pump
    Polaris 65 pool cleaner
    (20'x30" solar heater to be installed)

9. Back To Top    #9

Thanks to all. I have read the pool school basics several times and done some research on a few other sites as well.

My Test-7/4
    PH. 7.3
    Free Chlorine. 8
    Zero Combined Chlorine
    Alkalinity. 90
    Calcium. 290
    Cyanuric Acid. 100

Pool Store Test
    Free Chlorine 5
    Zero Combined Chlorine
    PH. 7.6
    Hardness. 230
    Alkalinity. 100
    Cyanuric Acid 100 to 150
    Zero Copper
    Zero Iron
    Total Dissolved Solids. 1100 ppm

10. Back To Top    #10

Thank you

Now that you have stated the CYA test was 100ppm. You should re-do that test starting with a 50/50 mix of pool water and tap water, then add the reagent, then double the result. This will give you a better idea just how much water you need to replace.

Why on earth would you look at another website for pool advice
    Jason, TFP Moderator

11. Back To Top    #11

This is the only site I have booked marked.

The chemicals were all inline up to this point, really got whacked when I shocked. Won't make that mistake again.

Will post again once I drain and refill.

Really appreciate your responses.

12. Back To Top    #12

Do stay out of the pool store, as its not for their benefit, but yours, your pocket book and your sanity! We have all been there... well most of us.
    Thanks for reading... - Tony
    Da' Pool: Intex 15'x42" 3284gal AGP EasySet (Inflatable Ring) - (Summer 2014: 27' round EW /w 6.5' deep end @ 22,500gal)
    Pump & Cart Mod: 1000gph Cart. 5ft - 2 nylons, 24/7 OP. Traps bugs/bits, lasts longer/cleans easier = Happier Pool Owner!!
    The Bible for a "Trouble Free Pool" life = PoolSchool, the BBB method a TF100 test kit(Recommend Kits Compared). - Cleaning a Sand Filter
    Water looks like GLASS, if yours doesn't...SLAM IT! Feels nice and never been happier!!! :D