NO FC-pool store said phosphates present

HDRockerCgirl

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 6, 2013
NJ
Hi everyone! I do not have a proper test kit yet. Have only had water in my new pool since Thursday 7/11/13. I let my filter run 24 hrs before I turned on the SWG. When I did the dip stick test I had no FC on Saturday 7/13/13. I took a sample to the pool store:
TDS- 500
CYA- 10
Tot chl-0
FC-0
pH-7.3
Tot alk-60
Adj total alk-57
Total hardness-40
Salt-2975

I added
5.5 lbs alk increaser
.25 lbs pH increaser
5.5 lbs chl stabilizer
19.5 lbs cal hardness increaser
I ran SWG twice 8 hours each time and Sunday morning 7/14/13 did another dip stick test and all levels were perfect.

I did another dip stick test this morning Tuesday 7/16/13 and no FC! Took sample to pool store and this is the results:
CYA-30
Total chl-0.1
FC-0.1
pH-7.5
Tot alk-80
Adj total alk-71
Tot hardness-170
Salt- 3094

Then they did a phosphates test I assume because all other levels are good. They sold me phos free, I'm just not sure whether or not to add it. They said I have to put it in the basket on the filter because I don't have a thru wall skimmer. But put in 1/4 of the bottle, run filter for 24 hrs, put another 1/4 bottle in and run for another 24 hours and then put in 2 lbs of shock. Is this the right procedure for my intex pool and filter? I need the pool to be ready for my nephews bday pool party that I have already postponed once. Am I going to have to postpone it again?

Thank you for any advice,
Barb

You've been pool-stored.

Your vinyl pool doesn't need calcium. But the store needed the sale. Ka-ching.
Phosphates are not a problem if you maintain FC. Ka-ching.

I haven't got a clue what my phosphate reading is, if that tells you anything. Use the search box for phosphates and get edumacated.

You DO need to get the FC level up. NOW. Bleach is the fastest. Essentially, all it will add is a little bit of salt and the chlorine. We recommend getting the pool balanced and adjusted well as a bleach pool before adding salt or turning on the SWG. Then it's a seamless transition.

file.php

Test strips are worthless.
Pool Store testing is worthless.
Phosphate remover is worthless.

You need a Recommended Test Kit. And you need to be using bleach to maintain the FC levels. The problem is that your CYA level is too low and the SWG is not able to produce FC faster than the sun is destroying it.

Order a kit.
Use bleach to supplement the SWG
Verify the CYA and raise it.
Then dial in the SWG output.

Thank you, I was really hoping you'd say that! But I wasn't sure that I should with all the Crud they had me add. I will search the site for the quantity of bleach to add, unless you can kindly tell me, there is 14,360 gallons of water in my pool.

I added the bleach but couldn't find 6% I used 64oz of Clorox concentrated with 8.25%. According to dipstick, yesterday morning everything was good. I know they are no good but it's all I had. I just got my test kit yesterday late afternoon, I have not had a chance to use it. I will post results when I do. Does anyone run their SWG at night? It suggests to run it when it's less humid like 10am. If I run it then, we can't use the pool! I currently have the filter running at 11pm for 12 hrs and the SWG for 10 hrs. Now if I could just find a way to vacuum it!!!

The manual suggests not running filter and SWG when pool is in use. SWG manual page 3-"Do not operate this product when the pool is occupied." ??? Which I thought was a contradiction when they suggest running at 10am, I can't find it in the manual now.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok, I put 64oz of bleach in, my test kit came, TF-100. I think everything is good. Here are my stats as of today:

TC 3.5 FC 3 CC 0.5
TA 90
CYA 30
Br 6
Ph 7.4
Salt 6.4.

If I am reading this correctly everything is on the low end of good. Would that be correct? I'm not sure how to put this info into the calculator. I have an SWG, but had to add bleach due to no FC, so should I compare to the bleach or SWG goals?

NO MORE POOL STORE FOR ME! Thanks to TFP!

Are you intending to use the SWG? If so, you should use those numbers.

All I see is that your FC is on the low end for your CYA of 30ppm using the bleach numbers (since the SWG is not keeping up). When you are ready to get the SWG going, you will need to raise the CYA.

You do not have bromine, so no reason to post that.

What does the water look like?
I would suggest raising the FC up to about 10ppm and doing the OCLT to confirm there is nothing in the water. If you pass, then raise the CYA and get the SWG running.

Yes, I have been using it since day 1, but because it couldn't keep up with FC I added the bleach. The SWG runs 10 hrs a day. Water is and has been clear since day one, but have not been able to vacuum, yet, on its way.

Please be patient with me, this is my first pool, ever. I am a hands on learner. Thank goodness for this site and for those of you who help those of us who know nothing.

SWG is off sun is almost down.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.