New pool. Traveling for next month. Help, please.

Jul 16, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
I just moved into a new house and now own my first pool. Problem is, I'm traveling for work for the next month starting Thursday. I don't have time to get an TF-100 so I won't really know what's going on with my chemistry. I do know my eyes burn after I swim. I don't know what the CYA is so I don't want to have my house sitter just throw pucks in the pool. Is there an amount of bleach I can ask her to pour in everyday just to maintain safe water? Basically, my question is...what can I do to make sure the pool doesn't turn into a swamp while I'm gone for the next month?

(Oh, and my volume calculation is a complete guess. I haven't actually measured the pool's dimensions.)

Re: New pool. Travelling for next month. Help, please.

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

With 0 information about the water chemistry, we can offer about 0 useful information on how to maintain it.

We could GUESS and ASSUME that you pool is currently clean and free of anything in the water (likely a bad assumption given the stinging eyes). Assuming the pool is clean and that a clean pool loses 2-3ppm of FC every day and that your pool is indeed 13500 gallons, then you would need to add 61 oz of 8.25% bleach every day to add the 3ppm.

So, if you want to blindly believe all those assumptions, have the house sitter add 1/2 a 121oz jug of 8.25% bleach every day and cross your fingers.

Re: New pool. Travelling for next month. Help, please.

Thanks for the help. I realize I didn't give you anything to go on but I'm sort of desperate. I've got some more data...

From Leslie's free water testing:

FAC 5 ppm
TAC 5 ppm
CYA 99
TA 120
pH 7.6
TDS 1600
Pho 500

My pool is a figure 8ish free form pool 3 ft deep at ends to 5 ft in the middle. Approx 30 ft long, 19 ft larger diameter, 13 ft smaller diameter.

Ideally you would replace a lot of water to lower the CYA. But for now it will help project the FC, assuming the water is clean.

Probably have to deal with most of this when you get back.

IF no other better options come available here is one. Now this absolutely ignores the BBB method of knowing your water and only adding what it needs, and OCLT tests.

Is ordering the test kit and having your house sitter test the chlorine an option? It's not difficult, there are instructions and a video. All you have to do is basically follow instructions and count number of drops and multiply by .5 (If you go this route I would consider adding an extra thing of R-0870 DPD Powder and R-0871 (2 0z) Reagent for FAS/DPD Test

If yes, I would consider stocking up on chlorine at least 20 gallons of 10 or 12.5% liquid chlorine or 30 gallons of 8.25% bleach. Have house sitter start adding enough to raise chlorine by 4ppm and test every 3 days?. If the test comes out lower than 7, should increase the amount added daily, If it starts testing higher than 17, lower the amount added. Adding the chlorine after the sun is down, and testing before adding chlorine for that day. The goal is to always be above 7, and close to 12 by the time the next daily does of chlorine is added.

The other idea would be to buy a 3 way test kit http://www.walmart.com/ip/HTH-3-Way-Test-Kit/17043605 and still add enough chlorine to raise it by 4PPM daily and as long as its a very bright yellow or slight orange, brighter than the brightest on the scale block call it good. If its less than the brightest start adding more, if its starting to turn dark orange use less.

regarding the OTO color matching test.
Richard320 said:
From my own research (which I hunted down here using search) Blinding yellow is about 10. School bus yellow is about 12-13. Hunter orange is around 18, up around 25 it starts to look pumpkin orange. I never went any higher than that, but it's been reliably reported that it eventually will turn brown if you get high enough.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.