First time pool owner, trying the BBB method.

ar15

Apr 5, 2013
Hello all. So I finished putting up our pool this last weekend and was off to a great start after filling it with some city water that tested neutral. It was the perfect starting point.

I, in my over excited-ness to keep the pool clear, added WAY too much bleach. The pool calc said 35oz of 12.5, and I added 3 128oz Jugs of 12.5.

So, I have been letting it evaporate out over the last 24 hours and tested tonight.

Here is where I'm currently at.

14 FC
1 CC
15 TC
140 TA
140 CH
No CYA

I haven't added CYA yet because I thought I would get the FC down first, is this the correct thinking?

Pool Pal app said to put in 5.3 acid to lower PH, aerate for TA, and to add 2lb of CYA. I haven't done this yet, but would that be a good starting point?

I have been running the filter 24hrs also just trying to work out all the extra FC.

Thanks

Adding that much bleach with no CYA in the pool was a VERY bad idea ... that raised your FC up over 40ppm and I would have to think that would have started fading your liner.

If this is a fresh fill and you have not added any solid forms of chlroine, thenthe CYA is 0ppm ... no reason to wait for the FC to drop. You need the CYA ASAP.

The pH test is not valid when the FC > 10ppm ... so you can not adjust your pH yet. And aerating does nothing for the TA, it only raises the pH.

What test kit are you using?

jblizzle said:
Adding that much bleach with no CYA in the pool was a VERY bad idea ... that raised your FC up over 40ppm and I would have to think that would have started fading your liner.

If this is a fresh fill and you have not added any solid forms of chlroine, thenthe CYA is 0ppm ... no reason to wait for the FC to drop. You need the CYA ASAP.

The pH test is not valid when the FC > 10ppm ... so you can not adjust your pH yet. And aerating does nothing for the TA, it only raises the pH.

What test kit are you using?

I knew it was bad as soon as I realized what I had done :hammer:

I will get the CYA in right away then.

Using the TF100

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.