Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: First time pool owner, trying the BBB method.

1. Back To Top    #1

First time pool owner, trying the BBB method.

Hello all. So I finished putting up our pool this last weekend and was off to a great start after filling it with some city water that tested neutral. It was the perfect starting point.

I, in my over excited-ness to keep the pool clear, added WAY too much bleach. The pool calc said 35oz of 12.5, and I added 3 128oz Jugs of 12.5.

So, I have been letting it evaporate out over the last 24 hours and tested tonight.

Here is where I'm currently at.

14 FC
    1 CC
    15 TC
    140 TA
    140 CH
    No CYA

I haven't added CYA yet because I thought I would get the FC down first, is this the correct thinking?

Pool Pal app said to put in 5.3 acid to lower PH, aerate for TA, and to add 2lb of CYA. I haven't done this yet, but would that be a good starting point?

I have been running the filter 24hrs also just trying to work out all the extra FC.

Thanks
    21' Round 48" Deep Doughboy Timberline III, 9100 Gallons
    Using 80lb Media Master sand filter and 1HP Powerpak II.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: First time pool owner, trying the BBB method.

Adding that much bleach with no CYA in the pool was a VERY bad idea ... that raised your FC up over 40ppm and I would have to think that would have started fading your liner.

If this is a fresh fill and you have not added any solid forms of chlroine, thenthe CYA is 0ppm ... no reason to wait for the FC to drop. You need the CYA ASAP.

The pH test is not valid when the FC > 10ppm ... so you can not adjust your pH yet. And aerating does nothing for the TA, it only raises the pH.

What test kit are you using?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

I agree ! You need CYA pronto !

Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle
    Adding that much bleach with no CYA in the pool was a VERY bad idea ... that raised your FC up over 40ppm and I would have to think that would have started fading your liner.

If this is a fresh fill and you have not added any solid forms of chlroine, thenthe CYA is 0ppm ... no reason to wait for the FC to drop. You need the CYA ASAP.

The pH test is not valid when the FC > 10ppm ... so you can not adjust your pH yet. And aerating does nothing for the TA, it only raises the pH.

What test kit are you using?

I knew it was bad as soon as I realized what I had done

I will get the CYA in right away then.

Using the TF100

5. Back To Top    #5

Put in the CYA this morning, tested this evening.
    Says CYA is now up to ~20 with FC at 14.

Should I wait a few more days for CYA to come up, or add some more?

Thanks

6. Back To Top    #6

No wait to test again. It can sometimes take a week to fully dissolve. Just assume its there.

Run pump for 24 hrs.

Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.