Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: draining the pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Irmo, SC

draining the pool

Our CYA is 80, and I'd like to do a partial drain to bring it down. The pool calculator tells me I'll need to drain half of it to get it to 40. Can anyone tell me the steps I should follow to do this partial drain? I've tried to research it and am getting very confused by all the different information. Our filter has a backwash setting. Do we use that? A sump pump? Do we drain it into the sewer or into the ground? We have had tons of rain lately. Does that matter? A step-by-step explanation would be so great!
    12500; sand; IG; vinyl; Tf-100 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry
    Tulare, CA

Re: draining the pool

If you live in town you will need to contact them as to regulations, instructions and sometimes permits for draining a pool. Also a submersible pump is always the safest bet.

3. Back To Top    #3

Just finished draining ours 60% for the same problem. We used a sump pump and let it drain into a ditch by the side of our house. We are in the country though so we have no permits/regulations or anything to worry with. It took about 30 minutes to drain and we are refilling now!
    [center:24l4i2yw]3 year old 30' round/54" wall, 23,000 gallon Tahitian AG with a vinyl liner. 1.5 HP pump with sand filter system.[/center:24l4i2yw]

4. Back To Top    #4

You can certainly do a backwash if you want. I believe you can also just open it up to "waste", if that's an option. If you have a sewer close by, go ahead and drain into it. Our property sits on a hill, with acres of woods behind us, so we just drain down the hill into the woods. Since you live on the east coast you probably have had tons of rain and don't need to water your grass.

I have never heard of getting a permit to drain a pool around here. Sounds complicated, and besides, isn't that part of the water and sewage charge?
    10,000 gallon inground, gunite, 500lb sand filter. Brand new to this pool thing.

5. Back To Top    #5
    Tucson, AZ

Draining that much water through the backwash setting is not really a good idea as any debris in the water will then be stuck on the wrong side of the filter. If you have a waste setting and can isolate the suction to only the floor, then you could use that method. Otherwise, you need a submersible pump.

With a liner, make sure you leave at least a foot of water in the shallow end.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6
    SW Louisiana

With a lot of rain and if you have a liner IG pool, then don't drain too much water at once, you probably want to do 2 25-30% drains instead of 1 50%. As was mentioned above leave at least a foot of water over your shallow end to keep wrinkles from forming in a liner pool.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

7. Back To Top    #7
    Antelope, CA

I rented a "trash pump" at HomeDepot in my town for about $40 for the minimum 4 hours and had the pool pumped, cleaned up and returned in that time. I pumped to the gutter in front of my house and into the sewer. The pump comes with as much hose as you need. It just plugged in.
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100

8. Back To Top    #8

Put a garden hose in it and siphon out as much as you want (or can). If you've on a well, you might want to try the water replacement over a couple of weeks. Drain some out, refill for an hour or so each day.

That's basically what I do and what's keeping my CYA low. I've got a leak and need to refill about an hour a day with the garden hose.

Good luck!
    36K gallon 42X22 gunite/plaster kidney-shaped IG;
    1 hp Hayward Super Pump (new in 2012);
    Hayward S244T sand filter w/ Zeosand (both new in 2009);
    175K BTU LAARS Lite2 LG natural gas heater; Polaris 380;
    TF-100 test kit.

9. Back To Top    #9

Weslaco, TX

I am currently in the process of draining water to bring down CYA and CH. I bought a 1/3 hp submersible pump from Amazon. I did some pumping into the sewer clean out. Now I have a sprinkler attached to the garden hose. I set the pump at one end of the pool and refill at the other end of the pool. I only drain about 6 inches at a time so the skimmers can run every day. I'm pumping over 100 feet with a garden hose....
    Built in Summer 2011, 16,875 gal, 14'6" x 34' irregular, 3'6" to 7' depth, gunite/plaster inground (blue quartz)
    Two-tone kook deck, 1 handrail, 7' x 10' beach landing, 2 IntelliBrites LED
    2 skimmers, Paramount Pool Valet floor cleaning system, 3'w x 8'l x 18"h tiled water cascade fountain w/3 geysers, 4 therapy jets
    1.5 hp WhisperFlo pump, Pentair FNS Plus 48 sq ft vertical grid filter, Intermatic timer (T100 series), Performax 960 chlorinator tube