Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: About to purchase our first pool need some advice...

1. Back To Top    #1

About to purchase our first pool need some advice...

So we've decided to install our first pool. I'm a pretty confident do it yourself-er, so I'll be installing it with some friends that installed a few pools. We are going ABG but are still stuck on either 24' or 27' round. I'm going with the Intex 2650 sand filter with built in SWG, J-Hook Liner, Full Resin Uprights and Top Pool kit. I did the calculations and for the equipment it's only $360 more for the 27'. Is it worth it? Any comments/suggestions are appreciated!

Awesome site here too, I've been reading non stop for 2 days!
    P.J.
    24' x 52" AG Full Resin (13,500 Gal)
    Pentair Sand Dollar 60 Filter with Pentair Dynamo 2hp 2 speed pump
    Intex SWG
    TF-100 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: About to purchase our first pool need some advice...

Hello and welcome to TFP !!!

I've seen you've been reading. Good job. I hope your reading pool school. Take all the courses. Their free!!

I would also like to suggest that you have all your chem's on hand so when you fill it up you can start to get the water balanced right. The most important thing you should have is the right test kit. One of the ones we reccommend will be fine. I use the TF100. Best value IMO.

If you have any questions just ask. The only stupid question is the one not asked.

Keep us posted.

Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for the warm welcome! We still can't decide on the 24' or 27'. I'm ordering the TF-100 tonight and we've already bought all our pool salt. I didn't want Walmart to run out seeing how they start putting Christmas stuff out in August it seems. We've decided on everything except the size. Also, do we just fill it add the recommended salt quantity, let the pump run 24 hours, then turn on the SWG? How long after it's been running should I do my initial tests?

Thanks!
    P.J.
    Intex SWG
    TF-100 Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

If you have the room go for the 27'. I have a 24' and its good for us. That's all up to you. Just make sure the SWG is sized right. A little bigger is better. You should have to add some liquid chlorine in the beginning. Don't forget the stabilizer. Very important. You'll want the CYA level to 60-80 ppm. The CYA wont show on a test for about a week Also get your PH right. You can test other things right away.

Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by pwrstrk
    You should have to add some liquid chlorine in the beginning.
    Should I test before I put the salt in and add the appropriate bleach then add the salt?
    P.J.
    Intex SWG
    TF-100 Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

Jeff

7. Back To Top    #7

Was a good read, thanks for the input!
    P.J.
    Intex SWG
    TF-100 Test Kit

8. Back To Top    #8

Just a question as I am not not sure I know the answer. Why are you using an Intex pump and filter with a steel walled AG pool? Just trying to understand.

Most AG pools have Hayward, Pentair, or similar brands.
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by techguy
    Just a question as I am not not sure I know the answer. Why are you using an Intex pump and filter with a steel walled AG pool? Just trying to understand.

Most AG pools have Hayward, Pentair, or similar brands.
    I've read good things about it and I like their SWG built onto the filter/pump, not to mention it's a fraction of the cost of other SWGs.
    P.J.
    Intex SWG
    TF-100 Test Kit

10. Back To Top    #10

We finally decided to go with the 27' AG. Now I'm wondering if the Intex 2650 w/SWG will be enough of a filter/pump for it. From what I've read it's only a 16" pump but claims it's good up to 20k gallons. Any thoughts?
    P.J.
    Intex SWG
    TF-100 Test Kit

11. Back To Top    #11

I was more concerned about "duty cycle" most of the motors used by Hayward and Pentair are rated for continuous duty (turn on, leave on forever 24/7/365) for the job they are setup to do (pump water). I don't know if Intex pumps were designed to meet this standard. They primary product is "temporary pools" and designed to be used for a short period of time and then replaced.

Honestly, I have not heard of them being poorly designed, just that many of the Intex pools are sold with the absolute minimum pump required. The 2650 and the sand filter may be enough but I don't want you to "penny wise and dollar foolish". I know I see large numbers of great pumps an filters on craigslist.

Like this? This is a DE filter. http://albany.craigslist.org/for/3941556475.html

Or this for a sand http://westernmass.craigslist.org/spo/3938406194.html
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by techguy
    I was more concerned about "duty cycle" most of the motors used by Hayward and Pentair are rated for continuous duty (turn on, leave on forever 24/7/365) for the job they are setup to do (pump water). I don't know if Intex pumps were designed to meet this standard. They primary product is "temporary pools" and designed to be used for a short period of time and then replaced.

Honestly, I have not heard of them being poorly designed, just that many of the Intex pools are sold with the absolute minimum pump required. The 2650 and the sand filter may be enough but I don't want you to "penny wise and dollar foolish". I know I see large numbers of great pumps an filters on craigslist.

Like this? This is a DE filter. http://albany.craigslist.org/for/3941556475.html

Or this for a sand http://westernmass.craigslist.org/spo/3938406194.html
    I guess I've been so consumed by getting the Intex pump/filter I never thought much about getting a Hayward or Pentair then just adding on the SWG after. I'd prefer to buy new over used, any recommendations for a Sand Filter/Pump for a 27' Round AG pool?

Thanks a million everyone all of your input has been very much appreciated!
    P.J.
    Intex SWG
    TF-100 Test Kit

13. Back To Top    #13

So is the 27' around 17k gallons? If so then we would recommend a minimum sand filter size of 3.1 sqft which is a 24" diameter ... so the Intex would certainly be on the small side.

There is no reason to limit yourself to a combo pump/filter unit although I think there are some with a 24" filter and a 2-speed motor (which is also a good upgrade to save money on electricity).

EDIT: Just to add, if you have a short season, then you could likely get by with something a little smaller.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

14. Back To Top    #14

Here is an option I found in this thread:
    pump-filter-combo-t65358.html

http://www.westsidewholesale.com/pentai ... Qgodx2EAKQ

Although the filter is a little smaller than the 252 sqft we would typically recommend.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

15. Back To Top    #15

So the wife and I talked and decided we're going with a 24' for sure. We priced out pools at our local pool store ($500 more for similar kits) and they sell http://www.poolproducts.com/SPP/prod...sp?pf_id=E3615 with all of their 24' pools. Would that Filter/Pump work for a 24' AG?

Thanks again everyone!

EDIT* I can get the SD 60 w/ 2.3 Sq Ft Area / 22.5" Diameter / 60 GPM max flow rate for $30 more. Worth the $30?
    P.J.
    Intex SWG
    TF-100 Test Kit

16. Back To Top    #16

Well, assume the 24' is about 13,500 gallons the new filter recommendations would be at least 2.5 sqft or 21.4" diameter.

So, the 19" is a little small and would still highly suggest a 2-speed pump ... search for this part number: PNSD0060DO2260
    Jason, TFP Moderator

17. Back To Top    #17

+ 1 on the 2 speed pump. Might be a little more up front but you will save on elec, plus you get better filtration on low speed.

Jeff

18. Back To Top    #18

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle
    Well, assume the 24' is about 13,500 gallons the new filter recommendations would be at least 2.5 sqft or 21.4" diameter.

So, the 19" is a little small and would still highly suggest a 2-speed pump ... search for this part number: PNSD0060DO2260
    I believe this is the same one as the PN you posted http://www.poolproducts.com/SPP/prod...sp?pf_id=E3625 ?

I can get that for $30 more than the 19"
    P.J.
    Intex SWG
    TF-100 Test Kit

19. Back To Top    #19

The link you gave is for the single speed pump. Which is either PNSD0060DO1160 or PNSD0060DO1260
    Jason, TFP Moderator

20. Back To Top    #20

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle
    The link you gave is for the single speed pump. Which is either PNSD0060DO1160 or PNSD0060DO1260
    My bad...found it http://www.poolsupplyworld.com/Penta...0060DO2260.htm

Is $511 a good price for that?
    P.J.
    Intex SWG
    TF-100 Test Kit

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast