Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Any point in trying to shock/Slam during heat wave?

1. Back To Top    #1

Any point in trying to shock/Slam during heat wave?

I must have algae, or something. So I attempted a slam, but it's mid 90s and I can't even keep it at 10 FC for much more than an hour. Just I just maintain FC at 4, until the heat wave passes?

Since July 14th, I've added over 620 ounces of 8.25% bleach.

I started on the 14th, brushing the pool, testing, cleaning out the inside of the wedding cake steps, etc., etc. The water has been clear for a week as it is. Just residue that rests on the bottom. I'm making progress, but there's no way I can keep the FC at 10, without going way overboard, or camping out near the pool all day.

CC has been = or < .5 for a day now.
    CYA @ 15 (added powder to help raise that a few days ago)
    Maybe I'll just treat it one last time and see if I can pass an overnight test. I doubt it though, because I still see stuff on the bottom. I'll brush that up and we'll see.

Should I just wait to really slam it?

EDIT: With a FC of 4, I told the kids to forget the pool today (unreal) and just added another 100 ounces, to get it over FC 12. I'll try once more today, so see if an overnight test will work. After that, there isn't much I can do until the sun/heat let up.
    18' AG pool, 7,646 gallons, Sun from 11:30AM-2PM.
    Pentair Dynamo 1hp pump, Intermatic Timer (6/17)
    Pentair Sand dollar filter - 100lbs, 35gpm
    Pentair Lil' Shark cleaner, TF-100 Kit
    Raypak 206A 200K, BTU gas (6/17)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Any point in trying to shock/Slam during heat wave?

It's not the heat. Many people keep pools open for months at a time in the south where the temps are seldom below 90 for any given day. 620 oz is only ~5 bottles of 8.25% bleach. That really isn't that much. I have to add 3+ just to get my pool above shock levels. What is your CYA level?
    ~16.5Kgal free form plaster with spill over spa
    1 1/2 HP Pentair SuperFlo pump, 1 HP Polaris QT Spa Blower, Pentair 48sqft DE Filter, PoolPilot Digital Nano+ SWG

3. Back To Top    #3

What is your CYA level? Are you sure your CC is 5, and not .5? If you want the pool clear, you have to SLAM it no matter what the temperature is. I'm not sure how much affect temperature has on bleach usage, but I would guess it isn't as big a deal as you think.
    John
    7 year old ~13,500 gal 24' AGP with 1.5 hp Proline pump, 150 sqft Pleatco cartridge, filled with well water with pH of about 4.5.
    Wanda the Whale pool vacuum, home made heater, Taylor K-2006
    Cloudy Pool? 1) Order test kit. 2) Follow SLAM
    New to TFPC? Read Pool School a few times, then post questions. PoolMath will help with chemical additions.

4. Back To Top    #4

Don't wait, SLAM now. Waiting will only makes things worse.

Make most of the additions in the evening when the sun is off the pool. Try to test/add every hour in the evening. Get in at least one test/add to shock level in the mornings.
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Butterfly
    Don't wait, SLAM now. Waiting will only makes things worse.

Make most of the additions in the evening when the sun is off the pool. Try to test/add every hour in the evening. Get in at least one test/add to shock level in the mornings.
    Thanks. I decided to do just that and slammed another 100 ounces in her.

Thank God I work from home!

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by JohnN
    What is your CYA level? Are you sure your CC is 5, and not .5? If you want the pool clear, you have to SLAM it no matter what the temperature is. I'm not sure how much affect temperature has on bleach usage, but I would guess it isn't as big a deal as you think.
    Sorry, I was editing.

CYA is 15, hopefully rising. Of course that make the shock level higher, which is another reason I'm shooting for 12 and not 10.

The CC was about 1.0, but is now < .5. At one point it was zero, but I slid the steps out and swept inside there. It wasn't as bad the first time I cleaned it over a week ago, but it had green dust puffing as I cleaned. So that brought the FC down in a hurry I'm sure.

7. Back To Top    #7

I'm having a heck of week here.

Algae, or something, in the pool. For over a week I've been trying a deep clean of the filter, which resulted in sand (I think) in the pool, etc. All in an effort to get the pool clean. Mind you, the water is clear and nice.

My A/C unit needs a Freon charge, but probably has a leak. So it's a delicate balance of where to place the thermostat, so that it doesn't freeze over and stop working. When it does freeze over, I have to raise the thermostat, clean the "ice" of the line, and wait for the until to thaw, then reset it.

Just got an estimate to have a drain cut into my yard. Why? Because neighbors installed some bushes and now runoff is a real issue. We were getting ground water anyway, but for 6 years it wasn't an issue. In fact, the pool actually helped a lot. Not it's $1,800 to put underground landscape drains in. $1,800 and my house/yard won't look one bit better

Lastly, Bronchitis, which began in April. Tried several treatments, all with some degree of success. The last progress we made was when work sent out an email that Legionella had been discovered in the HVAC...nice. I work from home now anyway, but my chest still isn't right. So not only do I wear glasses, I use an inhaler now. I'm gonna get my arse kicked at recess tomorrow, I just know it

Looking at all of the above, folks have a lot worse problems than I do. But it's been a frustrating week.

8. Back To Top    #8

CYA is 15, hopefully rising.
    You're going to have a hard time keeping any FC in the pool with that low of a CYA. It's all going to go to UV and not toward the Algae.
    ~16.5Kgal free form plaster with spill over spa
    1 1/2 HP Pentair SuperFlo pump, 1 HP Polaris QT Spa Blower, Pentair 48sqft DE Filter, PoolPilot Digital Nano+ SWG