Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Algea on thermometer rope

1. Back To Top    #1

Algea on thermometer rope

So my thermometer rope is slightly greenish (algea?) I have been running an SWG and keeping FC between 5-7ppm religiously. I can pass the OCLT. The pool water is crystal clear. All other levels are in check? Why is this happening?
    21,500 Gallon Vinyl liner pool Eastern Pennsylvania
    Hayward 2 HP pump 2" Pvc pipes Full Sun Pool
    Hayward sand filter, Compupool CPSC 48 SWG
    12mil solar cover and reel

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Algea on thermometer rope

What is your CYA value?

5FC is pretty close the minimum for some CYA values. Especially if you had a hot day or a party?
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100

3. Back To Top    #3

Probably because part of it is out of the water and the chlorine can't get to it.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

If your pool is that nice otherwise, I would chalk it up to one of the mysteries of life and not worry about it. The algae can likely embed down into the filaments of the rope and the chlorinated water cannot get to it. It will have no affect on your pool management.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

What if it's metal staining? I'd stick some vitamin C paste on it and see what happens.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks for the input. My CYA should be at least 70. I added 14lbs of CYA this year. My Taylor kit reads 55. I can still see that dot barely, but I can see it. For what it is worth, my SWG holds the FC well, but I'm still getting used to it. Pool is in full sun and lots of people swimming multiple times a day. I also notice that sometimes in the screw heads around the pool light I see some algae. I have been shocking about every 2 weeks or so, but it just keeps coming back on these same spots. I am not using algaecide, but I have added borates this year. Anyone else ever see this type of thing? The water is not clouding up at all and there is not any algae in skimmers.

7. Back To Top    #7

It sounds to me like you need to adjust your target FC up one from 5-7 to 6-8 FC. See if this makes a difference.

It may be that 5 FC is too close to the lower limit for your pool and you are getting very minor blooms.
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100

8. Back To Top    #8

You said your shocking about every 2 weeks. Why and what are you shocking with ?

Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

9. Back To Top    #9

I get it all the time on the rope and the rubber parts of the steps. I just get a bucket of 50% water/50% bleach. Toss them in there for a hour or so.

10. Back To Top    #10

Leebo,
    You are making me feel better. I'm doing everything I can to keep my pool looking awesome. I do notice it a little bit (with goggles) on the ladder steps because they are very porous. At least, at this point I know I do not have to shock the pool again. I will just brush the few spots as needed and see how things go. Thanks for all the help. I think it might be more likely to happen in a vinyl pool because there are sometimes rough seems or folds of vinyl that will allow the algae to grow.

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by Leebo
    I get it all the time on the rope and the rubber parts of the steps. I just get a bucket of 50% water/50% bleach. Toss them in there for a hour or so.
    Float the thermometer in the LQ (if you have one) for a while. Already have a highly chlorinated solution there that is safer than straight bleach to handle.

David
    11,000 Gal Trilogy "Utopia" Fiberglass Pool, 1HP Jandy Pump, Jandy CS200 Cartridge Filter, Raypak 199k BTU Heater, Liquidator, CMP Off-Line Chlorinator. Cleaners: Polaris 360, Blue Diamond, Poolvernuegen Pressure

12. Back To Top    #12

I actually lowered the thermometer so the string is underwater and then I twisted the twine that it is on backwards to unravel it and shook it in the water and about 80% of the green is gone.