Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Tiny Bubbles!

1. Back To Top    #1

Tiny Bubbles!

On the sides of my pool. Is that because I added 5.5 lb. of dry acid last night? Let me explain. No. Let me sum up:

Since filling with municipal water and chlorinating to open the season, my pH had been near-perfect while the TA was high, above 200 at times. Recently, after water level dropped and the pool outlet started aerating a lot while the kids were splashing around in the pool, the pH finally spiked around 8.0 (not really a very conclusive test using the little blue box in my TF-100 kit). So I had some pH Minus left over and decided to use it, attempting to lower my pH to 7.0 as others have recommended in an effort to lower the TA. I retested my pH this morning and it was 7.2. I did not bother trying to retest the TA, which was 250 before I added the dry acid.

So this afternoon, after ambient temps peaked around 91 and pool temp is 87, I'm swimming in my crystal-clear pool but see all of these little bubbles clinging to the wall of the pool. Is that due to the dry acid?

(I know, I know. I should be using muriatic acid, which i will look for in the future )
    18'x4' AG Intex Ultra Frame, 6,700 gal., assembled new 2013; Mods: Hayward EC50C90 Perflex filter & 1 h.p. PowerFlo Matrix pump, Fiber Clear cellulose D.E. substitute, Hayward H100ID1 100,000 BTU NG heater, a pair of 2'x20' Sungrabber solar heaters via the original Intex 635T pump, grey Hydro Tools through-the-wall skimmer, Confer steps/ladder system & Cover Free chemical pool cover. The Summer of Mods!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Tiny Bubbles!

Bubbles on the walls can be the first signs of algae. Any slickness to the pool at all?

With the Intex pool, I wouldn't worry about the TA anyway. It's not really going to cause much problem other than climbing pH. Keep the pH, CYA and chlorine in range and have fun.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by JohnT
    Bubbles on the walls can be the first signs of algae. Any slickness to the pool at all?

With the Intex pool, I wouldn't worry about the TA anyway. It's not really going to cause much problem other than climbing pH. Keep the pH, CYA and chlorine in range and have fun.
    Maaaybe a little slickness, I don't know. My chlorine last night was down to 1 and I added enough chlorine to get back to 6. I'll recheck the chlorine tonight after evening swimmers.
    18'x4' AG Intex Ultra Frame, 6,700 gal., assembled new 2013; Mods: Hayward EC50C90 Perflex filter & 1 h.p. PowerFlo Matrix pump, Fiber Clear cellulose D.E. substitute, Hayward H100ID1 100,000 BTU NG heater, a pair of 2'x20' Sungrabber solar heaters via the original Intex 635T pump, grey Hydro Tools through-the-wall skimmer, Confer steps/ladder system & Cover Free chemical pool cover. The Summer of Mods!

4. Back To Top    #4

You'll probably want to do an overnight chlorine test to see if you lose any FC.
    Indiana, ABG 24'x52" Galveston by Blue Cascade (Craigslist buy w/part of deck included), 13,500 gallons, Intex SWG, solar panels mix 2, TF-100 test kit.

Test kits compared
    Purchase test kits

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Suziqzer
    You'll probably want to do an overnight chlorine test to see if you lose any FC.
    Just did and FC dropped 1.5 ppm (5.0->3.5) with .5 CC, which was not there last evening. I'm gonna vacuum in a little bit and add some chlorine in preparation for a pool-full of revelers later today!