Swg vs robotic vacuum which would you chose

Hello all

If you had a choice between the 2 which would you choose..?

I currently have an Alger bloom, and my kreepy isn't doing a good job cleaning the whole pool, mind you it's probably 5 years old.

Either buy a swg and possibly a new kreepy or only a robot under 1k?
Keep in mind I'm cheap.. Lol

Ps I have a vinyl lined pool.
I also have a 2 speed new pump

Thanks!

You of course realize that neither of them will fix the algae problem, right? If you were maintaining enough FC, then you could have no cleaner and a dirty pool and algae would not grow.

Depends what you value most. A SWG would help maintain the FC, so if you have not been consistent with maintaining FC, that might be a better choice to avoid the algae problem ... although realize this does not mean you can neglect the pool.

BTW, you need to follow the SLAM process first anyway. [slam:3fb40cie][/slam:3fb40cie]

Jbliz beat me...

The Kreepy isn't going to be very useful while fighting algae. Brushing will help much more. I would focus on getting rid of the algae before considering the other stuff, neither of which will help with your current problem.

jblizzle said:
You of course realize that neither of them will fix the algae problem, right? If you were maintaining enough FC, then you could have no cleaner and a dirty pool and algae would not grow.

Depends what you value most. A SWG would help maintain the FC, so if you have not been consistent with maintaining FC, that might be a better choice to avoid the algae problem ... although realize this does not mean you can neglect the pool.

BTW, you need to follow the SLAM process first anyway. [slam:3evl2axw][/slam:3evl2axw]

Yeah I know they won't cure all problems... But limit them..

Well I'm not 100 % sure I'm in an Alger bloom, I.ve never had FC =0 but 1
I put a whole bunch of soil around the pool and it has been blowing in for 4 weeks .

When I backwash the sight glass is brown.

The water has been blue but the temps have been low - 22c .... Since Saturday the temp has been 30+ and it started to be green only when we swim or set the kreepy free in the pool.

I boosted the bleach last night over 16, and I checked it today and it was down to 8.5. Water was crystal clear but there was a brown \ green coating all over.

I've been vacuuming the pool every day for the last 4 weeks..

I will continue the shock process in the mean time.

If you're losing more than 1ppm FC in an OCLT, you need to SLAM it. It sounds like you're doing just that, but an OCLT will tell you if It's organic, or just dirt.

What sort of filter do you have? If It's sand and it has been in there more than one season, follow the cleaning instructions in my sig. After that, consider adding DE/cellulose to speed the clearing process. See article on adding DE to a sand filter in PS.

Also, please fill out your signature as instructed in Pool School on the 1st link. Then fill in at least your location info in the profile section under user control panel @ top.

So you have the FAS-DPD chlorine test that is needed to correctly perform the OCLT?
If so, why have you not been using to to prevent the algae in the first place?

There is no point in doing a OCLT is you can see algae in the water. You need to SLAM the pool. [slam:1rroldge][/slam:1rroldge]

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.