Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Swg vs robotic vacuum which would you chose

1. Back To Top    #1

Swg vs robotic vacuum which would you chose

Hello all

If you had a choice between the 2 which would you choose..?

I currently have an Alger bloom, and my kreepy isn't doing a good job cleaning the whole pool, mind you it's probably 5 years old.

Either buy a swg and possibly a new kreepy or only a robot under 1k?
    Keep in mind I'm cheap.. Lol

Ps I have a vinyl lined pool.
    I also have a 2 speed new pump

Thanks!
    Approx 74,000 liter inground vinyl pool 12x32, laser 225 sand filter, Hayward 2 speed pump + old pool heater.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Swg vs robotic vacuum which would you chose

You of course realize that neither of them will fix the algae problem, right? If you were maintaining enough FC, then you could have no cleaner and a dirty pool and algae would not grow.

Depends what you value most. A SWG would help maintain the FC, so if you have not been consistent with maintaining FC, that might be a better choice to avoid the algae problem ... although realize this does not mean you can neglect the pool.

BTW, you need to follow the SLAM process first anyway. [slam:3fb40cie][/slam:3fb40cie]
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Jbliz beat me...

The Kreepy isn't going to be very useful while fighting algae. Brushing will help much more. I would focus on getting rid of the algae before considering the other stuff, neither of which will help with your current problem.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle
    You of course realize that neither of them will fix the algae problem, right? If you were maintaining enough FC, then you could have no cleaner and a dirty pool and algae would not grow.

Depends what you value most. A SWG would help maintain the FC, so if you have not been consistent with maintaining FC, that might be a better choice to avoid the algae problem ... although realize this does not mean you can neglect the pool.

BTW, you need to follow the SLAM process first anyway. [slam:3evl2axw][/slam:3evl2axw]
    Yeah I know they won't cure all problems... But limit them..

Well I'm not 100 % sure I'm in an Alger bloom, I.ve never had FC =0 but 1
    I put a whole bunch of soil around the pool and it has been blowing in for 4 weeks .

When I backwash the sight glass is brown.

The water has been blue but the temps have been low - 22c .... Since Saturday the temp has been 30+ and it started to be green only when we swim or set the kreepy free in the pool.

I boosted the bleach last night over 16, and I checked it today and it was down to 8.5. Water was crystal clear but there was a brown \ green coating all over.

I've been vacuuming the pool every day for the last 4 weeks..

I will continue the shock process in the mean time.
    Approx 74,000 liter inground vinyl pool 12x32, laser 225 sand filter, Hayward 2 speed pump + old pool heater.

5. Back To Top    #5

If you're losing more than 1ppm FC in an OCLT, you need to SLAM it. It sounds like you're doing just that, but an OCLT will tell you if It's organic, or just dirt.

What sort of filter do you have? If It's sand and it has been in there more than one season, follow the cleaning instructions in my sig. After that, consider adding DE/cellulose to speed the clearing process. See article on adding DE to a sand filter in PS.

Also, please fill out your signature as instructed in Pool School on the 1st link. Then fill in at least your location info in the profile section under user control panel @ top.
    Thanks for reading... - Tony
    Da' Pool: Intex 15'x42" 3284gal AGP EasySet (Inflatable Ring) - (Summer 2014: 27' round EW /w 6.5' deep end @ 22,500gal)
    Pump & Cart Mod: 1000gph Cart. 5ft² - 2 nylons, 24/7 OP. Traps bugs/bits, lasts longer/cleans easier = Happier Pool Owner!!
    The Bible for a "Trouble Free Pool" life = PoolSchool, the BBB method a TF100 test kit(Recommend Kits Compared). - Cleaning a Sand Filter
    Water looks like GLASS, if yours doesn't...SLAM IT! Feels nice and never been happier!!! :D

6. Back To Top    #6

I'm doing the oclt tonight.. I think I'm going to try and clean the sand filter once again this year.

Tx

7. Back To Top    #7

So you have the FAS-DPD chlorine test that is needed to correctly perform the OCLT?
    If so, why have you not been using to to prevent the algae in the first place?

There is no point in doing a OCLT is you can see algae in the water. You need to SLAM the pool. [slam:1rroldge][/slam:1rroldge]
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

8. Back To Top    #8

Since they've all gone off on a tangent...

I'd get a SWG. I don't get very much debris in my pool - the back yard is mostly patio. I can spare the twenty minutes a week it takes to vacuum.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!