Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: pump timer

1. Back To Top    #1

pump timer

I have my pump plugged in to a twist lock outlet and I just turn on a switch above the outlet to operate the pump. We would like a timer though. I have done some looking online for a timer that I could just plug in and found one with the twist lock receptacle but reviews said that if your pump is over 1HP (mine is 1.5) then the timer quickly burns out. Is there another timer someone could suggest to me or should I just call an electrician, or pay the neighbor's kid to come over and turn the pump on and off while we are on vacation.
    Currently Pooless

Former Pool:Buster Crabbe resin and steel 30'x15' oval 52" ABG pool Pentair sand dollar filter 1.5 Pentair Dynamo pump13,500 gallons

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: pump timer

If you just need basic timer functions then these Intermatic timers like the T101P3 (115 volt) and T104P3 (230 volt) I have heard are good.
    TFP Expert who uses Pool School and my TF100 test kit along with PoolMath for my: Round 11K gallon AGP with deep end, 20" sand filter, Matrix 1hp 2spd, 6 2ftX20ft solar panels (and solar cover!), Intex SWCG (copper bars disconnected) and a Rubadub hot tub (chlorine). The SLAM process is not finished until: 1. CC < 0.5 ppm, 2. An OCLT < 1.0 ppm and, 3. The water is crystal clear.

3. Back To Top    #3

The timers that linen recommended will work, but will require you to hardwire you pump.

I would replace the light switch that controls the outlet that the pump is plugged in to with one of these timers:http://www.intermatic.com/Products/T...00_Series.aspx

For 240V, it says this timer will support up to a 2HP motor. If you know how to do electrical work, these are easy to install. If not, I think you could have an electrician install it relatively inexpensively.
    20'x40' Oval 27,000 gallon Vinyl IG, Coverstar Auto Cover
    Hayward MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Sta-Rite PLD50 30 sq. ft. DE filter
    Rheem 266,000 btu natural gas heater
    Dolphin Nautilus Plus with Clever Clean
    TF-100 testkit w/ Speed Stir

4. Back To Top    #4

Who says using an intermatic timer would require hard wiring?

The twist lock outlet can be wired through the timer with no problems. I'd label the outlet with a note that it is on the timer, though.
    15'x48" 4500 gallon Intex pool, buried 1.5 ft. Pac-Fab Dynamo 3/4 hp pump. Hayward S180T sand filter, bought used. Taylor K-2006 test kit. Rocket mass heater based wood fired pool heater.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie_R
    Who says using an intermatic timer would require hard wiring?

The twist lock outlet can be wired through the timer with no problems. I'd label the outlet with a note that it is on the timer, though.
    That would be the easiest. Plus if it's a single twist lock plug it should be the only thing plugged in.
    17500 gallon Doughboy AGP, Hayward DE filter, waiting for the 1.5hp DB pump to go out.
    Learn to take the advice here and be trouble free or use the pool store's advice. "You can't do both and get very far"

6. Back To Top    #6

Intermatic timer all the way. Good construction, very reliable clock assembly.

I've never had an issue with em.
    28k gal, IG plaster, 2 HP Hayward pump, 425 sq ft Hayward Swimclear cartridge filter, Pentair auto chlorine feeder, Hayward Navigator suction cleaner, spa w/spill over to pool, Hayward Super II pump running waterfall feature