Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New Liner, New Water, Mysterious Bromine???

1. Back To Top    #1

Central Illinpois

New Liner, New Water, Mysterious Bromine???

Just got my new liner in and will reach operating level soon. 13 years on the old line with no leaks or stains! It was wrinkled a bit, and my CYA was very high (first 10 years on pucks - never again), it was just time.

Now the mystery. I have totally new city water straight from the hose. Just did a quick strip check, and to my surprise there seems to be Bromine present.

Bromine: 5+ PPM
    Chlorine: 0
    Ph: 7.8
    Alk: 50

Do you guys think I really have bromine? I know these are cheap test strips (I have the TFP kit as well), but I know the old water registered 0 bromine. Drinking water sanitized with Bromine? So I filled a glass of water our of the kitchen faucet... same numbers as above! Must be the strips or some reaction with the city water?

I will get some better strips. And will use my Taylor drops when I get home. Just wondering if anyone else has head to Bromine being present with a new fill.

Happy Splashing!

25K Vinyl, deep ender with board Pentair Sand Filter, Hayward Super Pump II, Coverstar Cover, Hawyard H200 Heater, 12 years of fun in the pool!

2. Back To Top    #2
    Tucson, AZ

Re: New Liner, New Water, Mysterious Bromine???

Usually the chlroine and bromine test is the same with just a scale difference. I would suggest throwing the strips away and DO NOT buy more since strips are worthless. You have the best kit available, trust what the TF100 tells you.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!