Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Replace motor or entire pump?

1. Back To Top    #1

Replace motor or entire pump?

Pool is about 20 year old Anthony pool. The pump cut out today. It felt really hot and I was able to start it again for a few minutes before cutting out again. Should I replace the motor, repair it, or just get a new pump/motor assembly?

Current pump: A.O. Smith SQ1202 2HP Single Speed pump

Any reason why I shouldn't attempt to DIY this fix? I'm open to pump suggestions, preferably something I can get shipped overnight from Amazon due to the heatwave
    22k gallon IG freeform plaster with Spa, A.O. Smith SQ1202 2HP Single Speed pump, Anthony VA-52 DE filter, Polaris 1-460-02 1HP Spa Blower, Raypak RP2100 400K, Caretaker 99

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Replace motor or entire pump?

Is that pump made of metal? If the pump itself is not leaking, then replacing just the motor would be fine ... I would suggest looking for a 2-speed motor though so you can save money on electricity when the high flow is not needed. Just run on low most of the time and switch on high for the spa, backwashing, vacuuming, etc.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Yes, the pump is made of metal. To find a 2 speed pump, all I need is the frame information correct?

So far, I've found these with the same 48Y frame Square Flange:
    dual speed

These appear to be the same thing:
    singe speed 1
    singe speed 2

Thanks for the help.
    22k gallon IG freeform plaster with Spa, A.O. Smith SQ1202 2HP Single Speed pump, Anthony VA-52 DE filter, Polaris 1-460-02 1HP Spa Blower, Raypak RP2100 400K, Caretaker 99

4. Back To Top    #4

You need the frame, sfhp and voltage. Match those and you'll be fine.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

You have a 2HP with a 1.3 SF = 2.6 SFHP ... that is what you want to match. And any pump that big is going to be 230V so you are good there.

All the links you provided appear to be correct ... a standard efficiency, high efficiency, and 2-speed. Honestly the prices are a little higher than I expected for the 2-speed, but that is a LARGE motor.

Don't forget you willl also need a new seal kit ... at least the shaft seal.

This assumes that you actually need the 2.6 SFHP for your spa, if you wanted to save a little money and did not mind the jets being a little weaker, then you could look for a lower HP motor and also replace with a smaller impeller.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks for everyone's help. I went with the exact same motor. The only problem I have now is determining the correct shaft seal and flange gasket.

The current shaft seal looks similar to these 2: PS-100 & PS-200. How do I know which one or should I just try the local pool shops?

I'm also in search of the paper gasket. If I can't find one, I'll probably try to make one using the gasket material at the autoparts store or just use RTV Silicone.

Old Gasket:

Impellar assembly:

7. Back To Top    #7

How did this work out for you, @genepool? I have the same old motor (SQ1202) which runs us about $75 per month in So. Cal. I am curious if you noticed a marked decrease in your electric bill even after replacing with the same model... just a couple of decades newer.

In any case, we are looking to swap out the motor to get some energy/$$$ savings.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    19.6K gal, plaster, 3 HP Pentair Intelliflo VS pump, EasyTouch 8P Control System with wired ICP, 325 sqft cartridge filter
    Rookie Pool Owner, DIY Enthusiast

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by harcosk
    How did this work out for you, @genepool? I have the same old motor (SQ1202) which runs us about $75 per month in So. Cal. I am curious if you noticed a marked decrease in your electric bill even after replacing with the same model... just a couple of decades newer.

In any case, we are looking to swap out the motor to get some energy/$$$ savings.
    If you are replacing the motor and want electrical savings, then you should get a 2 speed motor.
    Jason, TFP Moderator