Attached is a picture of my 18' round Intex. Last summer was my first ever with a pool, and I successfully used BBB. This is my first pool opening, and my first pool problem. As you can see, I've got a mess.
On 5/26, I gave it a several massive doses of 12.5%. I am a pressure cleaning contractor, and I buy it by the drum. With that much on hand, I was very generous. Since then, it has gotten more heavy doses of bleach. I'm guessing I've used about 15 gallons over 4 days. The only testing method I have is a Wal-mart special, and when I add the first drop of chemical, the sample turns red. I guess I am probably at shock level. I also have some test strips on hand, and in reference to my pH, it says "Purple color indicates excessive sanitizer." I'm gonna have to add some water, so hopefully the excess bleach won't be a problem.
I have had the pump running 24/7, and I have been vacuuming when I have time. It has turned from dark green to a greenish/gray color. I am having to change the cartridge about every 4 hours, or whenever I notice a drop in the flow. I have been rinsing the previous cartridge with a garden hose, and then putting it back in service 4 hrs. later. There is definitely no shortage of gunk in the filter. I guess it's dead algae? Would a clarifier help any?
The water definitely looks better than it did a few days ago, but it's far from clean. I can only see about 6 inches into the water. I was hoping for better with as much bleach as I used. It looks like I have a long road ahead, but I AM NOT DRAINING THIS SUCKER!!!! I am determined to use the info I have am gathering here to successfully turn this pool around. I will be documenting my progress with daily pictures. Hopefully, I can give people some hope for turning their pools around.
To help me along, I ordered a real test kit this morning. I opted for the Taylor 2006. Obviously, just dumping bleach hasn't gotten me very far. With water this nasty, how accurate will my results actually be? Also, what should I try to establish first? TA? pH? Or, should I just keep it at shock level and let it clear before I try to stabilize other readings?