Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Air bubbles coming from first inlet

1. Back To Top    #1

Air bubbles coming from first inlet

I have water bubbles coming from the first return to the pool. What would cause this? Can anyone help?
    10,000 gallon AG Intex 22x52, standard Intex filter pump & Intex SWG
    put up on 6/28/13 and still haven't swam in it!!!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Air bubbles coming from first inlet

Welcome to TFP!!!

Well air is getting into the pipes on the suction side.

Do you see air in the pump basket? What kind of filter do you have? Have you purged the air out of the filter? Do you have a SWG?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Hayward Perflex DE Filter; Yes I did notice air bubbles in the pump basket. I didn't notice them until you mentioned it because the plastic cover over the basket is discolored and difficult to see through. So there is a leak in one of the pipes on the suction side above the ground correct??
    Another thing would air in the filter cause the DE to come through the returns at times as I have seen white powder coming in on the returns once and the pool refuses to clear up? The water is cloudy has been for three weeks.

4. Back To Top    #4

If you have air in the pump basket, that means you have an air leak somewhere between the pool and the impeller in the pump ... usually it is above ground, but not always.

I would not think that air would let the DE pass through. Either there is damage to one of the fingers, or your backwash valve could be leaking and letting the DE pass by.

Cloudy water typically points to a lack of proper chlorination. To clear it up you need to follow the SLAM process. [slam:1419i68j][/slam:1419i68j]

So, sounds like you may have 3 independent issues currently. All are important, but until the suction leak is fixed and the filter is working properly, it will be hard to SLAM correctly.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

5. Back To Top    #5

Do you have any suggestions on how to find that leak or do I need to call the pool company to come in and troubleshoot?

6. Back To Top    #6

For the air leak:
    First check the easy stuff ... pump drain plugs, pump lid o-ring is clean and lubed, etc.
    Do you have multiple suction lines with valves? If so, isolate each one and see if the air is only in one of them.
    Trying running water on each valve/joint to see if the bubbles stop ... or you can put shaving cream on them and see if it gets sucked in.

For the filter:
    You do not have any backwash valves right?
    So you would just have to open up the filter and inpect everything and look for any tears.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

7. Back To Top    #7

Thank you! I will do what you suggested and post my results later.

8. Back To Top    #8

If you are sucking in air (vortex/tornado in skimmer body) it could simply be you have low water. Try adding an inch of water to the pool and see if that helps.

Or maybe even run the garden hose into the skimmer to see if that helps.
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100