Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pump and heater fan all in one week

1. Back To Top    #1

Pump and heater fan all in one week

Hello all
    I just had to order a new Hayward pump (SP2610X15). Had the old one rebuilt 2 years ago and it went again. I believe the problem was a constant drip from the multiport which I determined to be cracked (from day 1) Replaced the multiport apparently too late before it caused damage to the rebuilt pump motor. Luckily I have my pump coming today from Amazon overnight shipping. I have a salt system

Additionally My Aquacomfort Heat pump (AC-1500) is making a lot of squeal which I think is coming from the fan motor. I have read where I might be able to oil it is that true? and if so how do I go about removing it from the heater unit. I'm hoping this may buy me some time. Was installed July 2008

Thanks all
    Tom

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pump and heater fan all in one week

You could that the blower motor to the same shop that rebuild the pump motor. It could as simple as a bearing.

It may have an oil port on the top of the motor that you can fill using a "zoom spout" This is a long flexible straw attached to a bottle of thin oil. Many better hardware store and every motor shop will know what it is.

Here is a link to one at HomeDepot.

This is the oil cover on a AC fan motor, they can be plastic or metal. Some have OIL stamped near them, Heater motors are not much different and can frequently be treated the same.

-- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100

3. Back To Top    #3

Ok Thank you for the response. I will look for the oil fill. If it doesn't have one ill try to figure out how to get the motor out
    Tom

4. Back To Top    #4

And I have no oil fill
    Tom

5. Back To Top    #5

Is it a bearing type squeal noise or something else?
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100

6. Back To Top    #6

Bearing type. Pool pump went at the same time
    Tom

7. Back To Top    #7

I have a quick question for you guys and gals. I just replaced my pump and I put Teflon tape on the top fitting that goes into the pump (Hayward Part # SP1486). still has a little drip. Question I have is can I put too much tape on the threads and risk cracking the housing or fitting?. I tried 2 times already
    Tom

8. Back To Top    #8

I have heard that for larger fittings (like this 1.5 inch threaded fitting) that a sealant is preferred to Teflon tape. They have PVC sealant that you brush onto the fitting as opposed to the tape. I have head that the tape can actually create pathway for the water to leak.
    -- Guy --

9. Back To Top    #9

I could be completely wrong, just sharing my readings. A real plumber would know better than me.
    -- Guy --

10. Back To Top    #10

This is what i would use
    Rectorseal Pipe Sealant

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/RECTOR ... 18182121:s
    18'x43' Sport Pool
    19,000 Gallons Vinyl Liner 3'-3.5'-4'
    SWCG and D.E. Filter
    Test Kits - Pool Calculator - Chlorine/CYA Chart - Pool School

Secret Weapon for Pool Chemistry Testing

11. Back To Top    #11