How do I repair a main drain leak without excavating?

Matt Ush

In The Industry
May 18, 2012
Hey guys,
One of our residential pools has a leak in the plumbing that connects the main drain to the second hole in the skimmer. The pool during winter months drops down about 3-4 feet so I am going to guess that the leak is somewhere in that area underground. Is there any way to repair this without ripping apart the pool deck and digging behind the gunite? Its a 1980s Anthony pool.

I saw this video on youtube too but I'm not confident that it could make 90 degree bends.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_g-fxO3ntjU

In the video it looks like the went around at least one visible 90 deg turn. I am willing to bet there at least two more on that pipe they did.
another process that some plumbers use is something called, I think, pipe bursting. They pull a liner thru the pipe, inflate a bladder to seal it to the sides of the pipe, let the liner cure then pull the bladder out. I saw it being done on a large sewer pipe in town once. The liner was a fiberglass type of material that they used steam to cure.

Looks like we will be excavating. I went in person to take a look and its a little different than what I said. The skimmer only has one hole and there is only one pipe coming into the pump so am I to assume the main drain T's into the skimmer underground somewhere? My plan is to break apart the pool deck and dig 5 feet down below the skimmer where hopefully a broken T is waiting for me. The pool system cannot operate at all at this point since its losing too much water.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.