during slam ph question

Just look at the drain as a fresh start. You can test and adjust your pH yourself, the Red Phenol test you have is the same as any of us use so that will be accurate. You can get a CYA test in less expensive kits, but if your shock level is 20+ (it probably will be) how are you going to measure that? During the SLAM process you need to be able to test levels that high several times a day. An FAS/DPD kit is the only test you can get accurate results at those levels.

I was going to post how to SLAM blind, but truthfully there are so many variables and it is going to probably cause you to use way too much bleach and get way higher FC levels than you should I just don't feel comfortable posting it. I have done it, it worked, but it took far longer than when I do it now using the proper test kit.

Let's just get the drain out of the way and get new test results and as a group figure out a game plan from here.

Current test as of 7-18-13 12:07am
FC Over 10+ for sure. As for blindly going at it. I have been using the FC addition chart on poolcalculator and it seemed accurate from the get go when adding bleach. Guessing for how high FC is based on how quickly the color change occurred and the darkness and knowing that 1 gallon of bleach raises my FC by 4-5, I would guess that I have been keeping the FC around 15-20 sing last Friday with a few dips below 10 during the day this past Monday.

PH 7.2 - I've been running the hose to fill all day with spray nozzle making tons of bubbles I think it helped a lot for PH along with the draining because I only added 152oz of borax roughly 3 hours before this reading.

TA 140

CYA ? - pools seems to have gained 2" more depth of clarity and allowed some algae to thrive. Evidence after thorougly brushing felt slick spots on the stairs so I am adding another gallon of bleach to the shock level that I am attempting to maintain.

I got paid today and am ordering a kit online form the pool school link http://tftestkits.net/TF-100-Test-Kit-p4.html?

Do I need to get borate test strips with my kit order or any other types of tests now that I am attempting the BBB? I read on a site admin post that borates will splash out faster than one could raise PH with borax. Well, we have zero splash out. The few people that use the pool use it more for range of motion/movement therapy and there is no splashing happening. No waves going over sides or anything like that. I believe this is why my CYA levels are so high. If CYA truly does not leave the pool without draining, then I still have all the CYA from last year even though the pool was black when I started the slamming process.

Let make this simple.

Your NUMBER 1 priority is to get new, clean water in the pool

Number 2 After the pool is full... add enough chlorine to get you to a SLAM shock level for a CYA based on a valid Taylor test. If you don't have one, use 10 FC as your goal. That's 2 each 121 oz jugs of 8.25% Chlorox/Great Value Extra Strength in a 16,000 gallon pool. This should keep your algae under control until the test kit arrives.

Number 3, keep your FC above 4FC using an OTO test test (yellow block kit)... or wait until your TF kit gets there.

Our goal is to only make decisions about what to add to the pool based on accurate tests (the tF does this). DO NOT add anything out of bag, box, or bucket that we don't recommend as it will likely adversely affect your pool's water.

Your initial goal when the pool is clean is to get your water clear and stable using ONLY bleach (and CYA after the test kit arrives)

Sounds like things are going in the right direction. Glad you are getting the kit, it is going to make things far easier and once you get it cleared. I have said it elsewhere but it bears repeating: I used the methods in this forum for a couple years before I got the kit last year and it has already paid for itself in saved chlorine. I use less chlorine to SLAM since I'm not guessing, and I have not had to SLAM like last year because I am keeping on top of the chlorine level much better. Been 90 degrees for several days and not a hint of green, that is a first for me :oops:

mark2013 said:
If CYA truly does not leave the pool without draining, then I still have all the CYA from last year even though the pool was black when I started the slamming process.
CYA does break down in a swamp so you could well have had zero, but you added enough dichlor, trichlor, and stabilizer to raise it over 150 this year. No worries though, you are getting that taken care of and getting accurate readings soon. Things are looking up!

For now techguy has the right answer, get things moving and try to keep it in check while you wait for the kit. Once you get it you will be able to measure your CYA, figure out the correct shock level, and measure every couple of hours to maintain it there until the job is done.

I've been draining until the Skimmer begins to suck air then filling until Skimmer stops working because level is too high. I can see top of third step finally but I want to drain more and add more at once. Is it safe to lower water level a foot below the skimmer? There are two valves I've never messed with. I'm gonna go figure out if I can shut off skimmer

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.