Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Problem with the BBB method...

1. Back To Top    #1

Problem with the BBB method...

Not sure if anyone can help with this one....

New AGP installed May 5th. Using BBB from day one. Problem is that the water is so CRYSTAL CLEAR that I can see individual specs of debris suspended in the water from across the pool. I spend way too much time swimmimg with the skimmer head to get them! Now when we swim, the kids hide the skimmer from me. I think I need help.

In all seriousness, my "chemical" costs this season so far from 5/5 are:
    $9.00 in Borax (2 boxes)
    $60.00 in 12.5% chlorine - 20 gallons from ollies when they had them at $2.99 per gallon. I have more than 2/3s remaining.
    Also have 10lbs of tablets, Algecide, and Clarifier from the pool store package with the pool - never used.

I just test every day or two, and add from 8 to 32 oz of chlorine daily.
    Now that we FINALLY have some heat here in Buffalo I will test more frequently.

Thanks BBB!
    24 foot 54 inch AGP, 14.5k gallons, 1hp pump, 120 sq foot cartridge filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Problem with the BBB method...

Sparklypoolitis strikes again! You can save the tablets for vacations and CYA touch ups as needed. If the algacide is polyquate 60 based you can use it if you close the pool for the winter. If not see if you can get store credit for it and the clarifyer to use toward pool toys or liquid chlorine.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

You've got the bug! Hubby and I have it too... Lol.

Sound like you're doing great! I would also check on that store credit... might buy you something you would actually use.
    Indiana, ABG 24'x52" Galveston by Blue Cascade (Craigslist buy w/part of deck included), 13,500 gallons, Intex SWG, solar panels mix 2, TF-100 test kit.

Test kits compared
    Purchase test kits

4. Back To Top    #4

Store credit would be great, but isn't that going be hard to get when they're absolutely convinced he's going to need those chemicals?

Just curious.

Regards
    Michael
    14,288 gal IG freeform Diamondbrite
    Hayward 9002 filter
    3/4 hp Hayward pump
    Barracuda G3 cleaner
    TF-100 test kit
    resurfaced 6/2013

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by zea3
    Sparklypoolitis strikes again! You can save the tablets for vacations and CYA touch ups as needed. If the algacide is polyquate 60 based you can use it if you close the pool for the winter. If not see if you can get store credit for it and the clarifyer to use toward pool toys or liquid chlorine.
    We have daily meetings for the sparklypoolitis group.
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by mmn
    Store credit would be great, but isn't that going be hard to get when they're absolutely convinced he's going to need those chemicals?
    If you never take a water sample in to be tested, they can't tell you what you need to buy and dump in your pool.

I also vote for the store credit plan. There's a pool store that I went to for two years before finding BBB. I really don't trust them on chemical analysis, but they are incredible when it comes to having parts/equipment in stock. I had two things I needed to buy in the last two years that I was having a hard time describing, let alone finding. I brought the old ones in, and the lady behind the counter disappeared into the back room and came back 30 seconds later with exactly what I needed.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry