Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Where to buy cyanuric acid

1. Back To Top    #1

Where to buy cyanuric acid

When you have a question always start your own thread rather than hijack. Butterfly

Where do you guys buy Cyanuric acid? I recently bought 2 six lb containers at local pool store for $36 per container. It was BioGuard which I believe to be a quality product but surely I should be able to find cheaper. I need about another 6 lbs to get to the higher level recommended for SWG.
    25 + year pool owner. Current pool (going on 11th year) - 38K gallon in ground Gunite/White Plaster, Spillover Spa, Hayward Cartridge Filter, Hayward 450k BTU NG Heater, Hayward Goldline Aqua Logic control with T-Cell-15 Salt Water Cell, Dolphin Explorer.
    You Need: Bleach, a A Test Kit & a Bookmark to "Pool School". Now what's your question?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Where to buy cyanuric acid

Sorry about hijacking previous thread. Thanks for moving it for me.
    25 + year pool owner. Current pool (going on 11th year) - 38K gallon in ground Gunite/White Plaster, Spillover Spa, Hayward Cartridge Filter, Hayward 450k BTU NG Heater, Hayward Goldline Aqua Logic control with T-Cell-15 Salt Water Cell, Dolphin Explorer.
    You Need: Bleach, a A Test Kit & a Bookmark to "Pool School". Now what's your question?

3. Back To Top    #3

I just purchased some from Pool Supply World.

http://www.poolsupplyworld.com/PoolSupp ... Y565-2.htm

Much better price than I could find anywhere and I got free shipping on my entire order.

Edited to add the MSDS for the Pool Supply World CYA for future reference.

Regards,

Jay
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Jay

28,000 gal in-ground hybrid pool with PacFab Superflow 100 sand filter witn VitroClean media, Intelliflo VS pump, Stenner chlorine pump, Raypak R336A Millivolt Natural Gas Pool Heater

4. Back To Top    #4

I buy mine from Wal-mart. It is the cheapest I have found. Just look for stabilizer. I forget how much I paid though.
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Big Box stores, Lowes, Home Depot, Wallyworld. Our local PS had similar/close price, too.

Be sure to look for close to 100% cyanuric acid listed on the label.
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

Same here, usually buy mine at Lowes, also get dichlor "shock" there for fine tuning.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

7. Back To Top    #7

I'm not convinced that the brands they sell at the big box stores, especially WalMart, are pure. And if you look at the dosages on those, it is usually not nearly enough to get to the levels we discuss in this forum. So the price may seem cheaper, but you have to add much more product.

8. Back To Top    #8

The stuff I buy at Walmart has always been 100% cyanuric acid and the dosing has been spot on what the pool calc says it should be. I don't know how you can say that it's not pure. Where are you looking at the dosages being different? Different than what?
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

9. Back To Top    #9

Click on the link from poolsupplyworld that griffths posted above. Then go to the questions tab. Read the answer to Joyce's question in there.

Do you think 20ppm CYA is acceptable for ANY pool?

10. Back To Top    #10

The product above says to add 1 2/3 lbs per 10k Gallons (to get to what? 10ppm 20ppm?)
    Leslies product says to add 2 1/3 lbs per 10k Gallons (No idea what this will raise it by. Don't have a container in front of me)
    BioGurad 100 says to add 3 1/3 lbs per 10k Gallons (At least BioGuard says this will raise you to 40 ppm).

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by mikemass
    Click on the link from poolsupplyworld that griffths posted above. Then go to the questions tab. Read the answer to Joyce's question in there.

Do you think 20ppm CYA is acceptable for ANY pool?
    Not at all. And if you read the instructions at Leslies for stabilizer, their recommended dose is 2.5 pounds per 10,000 gallons. Which works out to exactly 30 PPM.

It's the directions that are deficient, not the chemical. They tend to aim low because you will be constantly adding CYA via trichlor pucks and the weekly "shock" dose of dichlor.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

12. Back To Top    #12

I'm not following your logic at all. Adding 3½ cups in 10,000 gallons of water will raise the CYA by 21 ppm. That's what the answer said. And by the way, 20 ppm is perfect for an indoor pool.

You should have also learned on this forum not to take mfg's recommendations on a lot of things.

So because they don't tell you how much it'll raise the CYA you say it's not pure. Quit reading the mfg's recommended dosing and use the Pool Calc to add ever how much you need to get to where you want to be.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

13. Back To Top    #13

yes. Leslies says 2 1/2. I typoed and wrote 2 1/3.

I don't use and have never used trichlor or dichlor products, so I only add CYA via a pure stablizer product.

If we are discussing CYA, I think it's safe to assume we are talking about outdoor pools.

And the specs on the poolsupplyworld says it's 90% pure. Under the questions, they try and say it "might be" as high as 99%. That's sounds trustworthy.

I will appologize for specifically mentioning whatever WalMart carries as I have don't buy chemicals from there. It was more of an opinion... Cheap product usually = cheap value. Agree to disagree with that statement, but that's my opinion. Most of us probably made a significant investment in installing a pool. If not buying my pool supplies from a place that sells $2 underwear gives me peace of mind so be it.

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by mikemass
    yes. Leslies says 2 1/2. I typoed and wrote 2 1/3.

I don't use and have never used trichlor or dichlor products, so I only add CYA via a pure stablizer product.
    No..but most people who buy the overpriced stuff at the pool store blindly follow the pool store's advice, which is, "Buy this bucket o'pucks and these tubs of shock."

There's a whole lot of stuff I wouldn't buy at Walmart. But sealed containers of brand-name stuff are probably safe.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

15. Back To Top    #15

Thanks guys. Will looks next time I'm in there. No immediate rush as I am at acceptable levels 45ppm CYA. And my SWG at 50% capacity is doing a great job of holding 5.0 ppm FC. But taking this board's advice I want to get CYA up to 70ish.

16. Back To Top    #16

I have bought the HTH at WM and it was close to100% CYA
    -- Guy --
    10K gallons in 21' Round 52 inch wall Aqualeader AG, Hayward Power Flow LX 1.5 HP pump motor, Hayward Perflex EC50AC DE filter w/Cellulose, Wide mouth skimmer, 2013 new Diver Dan (craigslist) to replace the faded old Hayward AquaBug. TF-100