Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: HELP, hose broke off pump

1. Back To Top    #1

HELP, hose broke off pump

HELP!!! The hose from the filter to the pump broke off last night. I woke up this morning to a mess. Apparently, sometime overnight the hose which runs from my filter to the top of the pump broke off and drained water out of the pool to below the skimmer line. I run my pump at night and when I walked outside this morning, the pump wasn't on. Did that burn out the pump? I haven't tried turning it on yet as I am filling it back up.. Please tell me it didnt burn my pump as I do not have the funds right now to get another one
    18x52 Above ground pool, approx 7300 gal, vinyl, Hayward sand filter I think, 1 hp Utilitech pump, 1 speed

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: HELP, hose broke off pump

Correction. It didn't break off. I just checked and it slipped off the hose clamp.
    18x52 Above ground pool, approx 7300 gal, vinyl, Hayward sand filter I think, 1 hp Utilitech pump, 1 speed

3. Back To Top    #3

First check your breakers and GFCIs, it's likely one of them may have blown before damage occurred.
    22'x52" AG Ultra Frame Intex - 12,500 gal (47K liter)
    Manual Liquid Chlorine - 1HP 100# Hayward sand filter
    Lots of sun, trees, pollen & wind - 50ppm Borates
    4nd season grateful TFP fan

4. Back To Top    #4

Yes it did trip the breaker. I just reset just now.

5. Back To Top    #5

I also found a dead bat in the skimmer. Could that have plugged it up and caused the hose to come off due to the strain?

6. Back To Top    #6

Wow, it's hard to imagine how that series of events could have happened in sequence... bat, hose pop, drain then breaker. hmmmm...

I would just concentrate on clearing the lines, adding water and testing the pump.
    22'x52" AG Ultra Frame Intex - 12,500 gal (47K liter)
    Manual Liquid Chlorine - 1HP 100# Hayward sand filter
    Lots of sun, trees, pollen & wind - 50ppm Borates
    4nd season grateful TFP fan

7. Back To Top    #7

I know, right. Just hoping it didn't mess up the pump

8. Back To Top    #8

You will know soon enough, either the safeties protected it or did not, only one way to find out.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

9. Back To Top    #9

Thank god, the pump works but the hose is leaking (well...I don't know if it's the hose but it's leaking where it connects to the pump from the filter.) I checked the end of the hose but I couldn't see any cracks or holes. If it's the hose, I'll get a new hose but if it's the thing that connects to the hose on the pump, how do you fix that? No matter how tight I get the hose clamp, it's still leaking. Especially when the pump is on.

10. Back To Top    #10

Try using two clamps and don't over tighten them to begin with. Sometimes you can warp the hose and fittings by cranking down on the clamps too much.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

11. Back To Top    #11

Thank you. I will try that