I bought one of the test kits recommended here (TF-100). Here is the back story: We had an algae problem and treated it with lots of chlorine tablets (supplemented with the addition of granular chlorine--lots of it). I continually vacuumed out what appeared to be dead algae day after day (on waste). Eventually, the water became clear and I resumed using the Polaris for day-to-day cleaning. About this time I found this forum and ordered the TF-100 test kit. Everything seemed fine.
Kit in hand, I went out to test the water. I did the chlorine test and the color went to blood red rather than some gradation of yellow. I assumed that this reflected the excess chlorine that I put in when fighting the algae so I just let it go. Day after day I tested the chlorine and it eventually seemed to "settle" at a reading that suggested a level above 5.0 on chlorine. I thought that this was OK, but was a little concerned that it stayed so high for so long.
Fast forward about 10 days. We were leaving on vacation for 4 days. I checked the chlorine again and it remained above 5.0. (PH read 7.2+). I thought that since we were going away it might be prudent to put a few tablets in the chlorinator so my wife put in 4 tablets. After all, the last thing we wanted was to come home to algae.
Of course, we came home to algae! The bottom of the pool was completely green (including some of the sides). I thought that since it rained while we were gone maybe the chlorine level finally dropped. I took my test kit to the pool determined to make accurate readings. With great care, I came up with the following:
These are the readings I got when the pool was obviously inundated with algae. Please help me get a clear pool again!!
Thanks so much!