Does this prove my light fixture is bonded?

Jul 25, 2011
Tucson, Az
Hello all! I've been contemplating the move to SWG or a pump set up to help automate my current liquid chlorine process... But since my pool is old (although freshly replastered) I want to make sure my light nook is properly bonded to help prevent it from rusting/decaying/whateveryouwanttocallit...

First I do add salt to my pool (for feel) so I'm guessing that helps being able to test ohms (verified by putting two prongs in the pool and got a reading).

Then I disconnected the copper wire that comes out of the ground and connects to my pump.

I then connected one meter lead to that wire, and put the other test lead into my skimmer basket water and was able to get a reading.

The light fixture is the only metal in the pool, no railings... Does this confirm that that copper wire coming out of the ground is connected to my light fixture and thus I should be fine converting to SWG? Or am I missing another electrical connection between that wire and my water.

Thanks all for your brilliant insight. :goodjob:

Andrew

It doesn't really confirm it but it probably is bonded if the wire is bare copper and about #8 (~1/8") in size.

Since you already add salt I don't think you have a concern. Do you know what your salt level is now?

Yes, that's about the size of the wire. I keep salt around 2200... I'm not so much concerned about the salt causing rust, but the current corrosion issue since the salt generator adds current to the water- at least that's what I was told to worry about when I mentioned going SWG to the guy that replastered my pool.
Andrew

ps- the other option was peristaltic pump for LQ but figured that would cause an issue when I click the pump on for extra cleaning... but I guess SWG would ultimately do the same thing huh.... either way, I'd have to adjust the thing to keep too much chlorine from being added/generated.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.