White Lines showing up on Replastered Pool

Hello, I was wondering if anyone has ever seen anything like this before. I am going to try and upload some pictures of my pool.
My pool is Gunite, I just had it Professionally re-plastered end of March 3 1/2 months ago with
Blue Plaster & Blue Quartz Crystals.
I brushed the pool two to three times a day for almost 3 weeks, gradually dropping to once a day. Chemical levels have been fine. Weather here in Arizona is hot in the high 90's to 100+ the last month or so Today was 115 F.
Ph Normal
Chlorine normal
Alkalinity normal

The pool looked beautiful when it was first completed, but now these marks are coming through. It looks like the trowel marks that were made during the application. I'm waiting for the contractor to come look at it, 2nd week now. Without seeing the pool they insist the plaster is fine and that its salt causing the problem. They say because its a new pool this happens to the plaster. Am I being given a line or does this sound familiar to anyone. Thanks for any feedback, sorry about the long post.

Attachments

• 1-1-IMG_0010.JPG
    1-1-IMG_0010.JPG
    33.3 KB · Views: 156
Please post a full set of test results including CH.

What sort of startup procedure did your PB use following the replaster job?
Did your PB manage the startup, or did you?

What is your CL source, is it an SWCG? Or no?

Edit: Can you please post a higher res photo if possible? You'll have to use an image hosting service and insert the image url using the advance/full editor here on TFP. I presume these are steps in the photo?

The PB did the start up and I helped with doing more brushing. It is not a salt water, I guess I posted this in the wrong forum. Yes these are the steps. I don't know what the actual readings are, the PB said everything was normal. He said he's never seen anything like this before. I'm not very computer savvy, don't know if I can post a better resolution, I'll try. Is there a way for me to change the forum I posted this in?

Try this for help with posting pictures.
how-to-add-pictures-to-a-post-full-guide-with-screenshots-t45050.html

As for the water chemistry, do you not have your own test kit?
See my sig for the info on our recommended test kits. TFP is all about knowing what's in your water ad what you put in it. As well as educating yourself by way of pool school and this forum's members as to understanding how it all works. Having a good test kit, not relying on others to test it for you, which is more often than not... unreliable, is where it all begins. :mrgreen:

I can't tell from the low res image, but my 1st thought was that it looks like calcium scaling. But I'm really just guessing as It's too low definition to tell, too fuzzy.

Your water contains calcium, depending on where you live as to how much. The plaster has to have it in the water and the right amount or it can damage the finish. Not knowing what that is, nor your pH and TA levels is risky business to your pool's plaster health and longevity.

Hang in there, we'll help you through it. :goodjob:

Edit: The mods will move your thread to a different forum/topic if they deem fit. No worries!

Thank You, I guess I need to bite the bullet and buy that large test kit that I once read about on this website. I think it was around 60.00 to 80.00. When I first signed onto this web site, I read a lot of the information in the pool school, but I got a bit lost. After spending the money to fix my plaster in the pool, I think I'm going to try again to familiarize myself with what needs to be done. I will try and pick up a kit in the next few days and get some chemical numbers posted. thanks again for replying. Maybe I should read up on how to make a URL first, LOL.

The TF test kit will allow you to manage you pool better. Especially your calcium values that are so critical to a plastered pool.

Buying the $68 test kit will save more in one month than you will spend on one trip to the local pool store for "free testing".

When you know your numbers... you are in control and you can solve your water issues in minutes

... not add 63 pounds of this; come back next week when you have a green pond and a bag of money.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Just don't buy any of their magic potions. Tell them you have to check with your spouse, dad, uncle, whatever 1st. ;) Or you forgot your check book, or just plain "No, I have to think about it".

Very important for pH and TA.
Take the sample in a clean opaque container and fill it to the brim so no sloshing can occur. Hydrogen peroxide bottles are great for this. Also, keep it protected from any appreciable temperature changes and from direct sunlight. Lastly, take a large sample and don't let them dump out the extra. Make them test it at least 2x!! Or, take in 2 containers and imply they are from 2 different pools by saying they are 2 different samples. That way they have to test it 2x. HAHA

This will get you an avg of their highly varied results.

Make sure to pull your sample opposite a return and from arms length down, about a foot.

PoolHappy said:
I'm going to go to Leslie's tomorrow to get my water tested and I'll start searching the internet for testing kits. I'm sure Leslie's is to high priced especially where I live here in AZ. Not many places to choose from. I'm turning in for the night. Thanks again for your help.
Jeri
The TF100 is your best value online. The bottles in the TF kits are larger than the ones in the Taylor/Leslie kit and they come in a more convenient box. There is a comparison chart in the PoolSchool

Thank you all whom are helping me with this issue in my pool. Yesterday I went to get my water tested while I wait for a test kit to arrive in the mail. I took in 2 samples as suggested to pool store and surprisingly they came out pretty darn close. Here are average results. FC-6, TC-6, CYA-99, TA-90, PH-7.6, TDS-1800, Pho-2500. Of coarse they tried to sell me a product to reduce the phosphates but it would have cost me 64.00. I didn't bite, I wanted to run this by you all first. The pool finish is smooth, no texture to it at all. I decided to check another pool store in town and with another sample I got these numbers FC-3, PH-7.8, TA-150, TDS 1800, I questioned the Phosphates, and evidently our city adds phosphates to our water supply for lubrication in the pipes so he said it will be high. So with all this information, what to do. The second store suggested adding a gallon of acid at night with the pump off and test again in the morning. Should lower Alkalinity but does that solve the issue of the white lines? With that, I am now asking what you all think?

PoolHappy said:
I questioned the Phosphates, and evidently our city adds phosphates to our water supply for lubrication in the pipes so he said it will be high. So with all this information, what to do. The second store suggested adding a gallon of acid at night with the pump off and test again in the morning.

WHAAAATTTTTTTTTT??? Something tells me It's their snake oil lubricating the pool owner's pipes so the money flows easier! :evil: WWWWOOOOWWWW!
That's a new one!

Don't do anything at this point. See how much those tests varied from store to store?
Oh, they want you to ruin your pool plaster too, huh? EPIC!
acid-column-myth-t1089.html

These are the reasons pool store baaad, very baaad! mkay? :razz:

Hello all,

I finally received my Test Kit in the mail. I opted for the TF-100 Kit did my first testing. Here are the numbers. I ran the tests 2 times to make sure I came up with the same numbers.
FC-3, TC-3, CYA-90, TA-100, PH-7.8, Pho > 1000.
and here's what was missing CH 700
Now the question is what do I do?
Thanks for any input.
Jeri

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.